Different engine for husqvarna 42" riding mower? Flawed B&S design?

DHook

Threads
  • / Different engine for husqvarna 42" riding mower? Flawed B&S design?
I have the Husqvarna YTH 18542 riding mower with the B&S 330000 series engine that has 75 hours on it and was purchased March of 2019. I don't think I have a problem with the decompression mechanism being broken but not certain. This season, after changing the oil and running it for about 15 minutes to pick up some debris on the lawn, I shut it off. Came back a little later to put it away and when I hit the switch, it balked at starting. Tried it again and it took right off. I know the battery is good (put a light charge on it before installing this spring) and the starter appears to be working ok. Did the usual checks for loose connections, everything is clean and tight. So I started to look at youtube vids and found the problem with decompression mechanism for this 18.5 HP Intek engine. They show how to replace the camshaft and it doesn't look too difficult but not sure I want to tackle it. I probably need to check the valves first and adjust them as that hasn't been done since I purchased the mower.

So my question is: Is it possible to install a different engine like a Kohler on the mower and just get away from the Intek altogether? Will a Kohler from another size mower fit on the 42" model? I'm sure it would be cheaper to fix the B&S engine but from what I'm reading and watching videos about, it seems it's a flawed design that will fail again.

Looking for opinions from people more familiar with repairing this engine/mower than I am.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can put any engine into almost any mower .
Down side is controls may not fit or be different , electrical plugs will be different and muffler will not fit and the latter are quite expensive .
If the ARC has failed then the engine will do 1.5 revolutions then hang on compression, slowly go over it ( or you have to manually do it ) then it will do another 1.5 revolutions.
An excessively wide valve lash will exhibit the same symptoms
When was the last time you checked / adjusted them ?

Last edited:

DHook

Threads
Good call. That's next on the list. Waiting for gasket to arrive. Manual shows the specs. Thanks!

DHook

Threads
Weather's been nasty the last few day so haven't done the valve adjustment yet. I plan on starting the mower, mowing the lawn, then shut down and let sit overnight and then doing the valve adjustment. Hopefully that will solve the reluctance-to-start problem. If not, when will have to look at replacing the cam.

In the meantime, I've bought a 3 year old YTH24v46 twin cylinder 24hp Husqvarna with 328 hours on it from a guy for $25. The unit is in fair condition, engine runs fine, mower deck runs quiet but, of course, the transaxle seems to have a problem. Won't move at all. Plan on looking it over more closely once the weather warms up here, and see what might be causing the problem. I've been studying Youtube videos, especially the Taryl Fixes videos and am thinking of taking a shot at rebuilding the transaxle. Having some mechanical inclination, I think I can drain it, open it up and check what might be causing the problem. Easy stuff first like checking the belt, linkages, debris on the outside of the case, low fluid etc. Then, if needed, pull the trans out and check the magnet and see if it's just a low fluid level. (I see some push for installing drain plugs on these units but what's the point if you have to pull the trans out to refill the fluid? Or is there another way to do it?)

It may be a delusion that I can make it work again but hey, what's a little delusion these day? I'll have all of $75 in it and if I can't get it to move I can save the engine and try a transplant onto my 42" mower instead, assuming I can make all the connections work ok.

Would be interested in other's thoughts.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I do yearly valve adjustments on all my machines. Easy way to keep them running as new. Only takes a few minutes.

DHook

Threads
Yes, cleaned cooling fins at end of each season, found very little debris. New pre-season air filter every year also.

Last edited: