Dethatching and aerating

qa12852

Threads
I am currently trying to revive a yard of 10 years of no care and abuse. I need to dethatch and aerate. Should I do both this fall? Which one should I do first? After all that I will do an overseeding and a fall lawn food fertilizer application.

sgmgarden

Threads
I would suggest you dethatch your lawn first and then aerate.

possum

Threads
Little things like.

Irrigation system
Type of lawnmower
Fertilizer use
Amount of shade

Are very helpful. Your state university may have a great deal of information for lawn upkeep.

qa12852

Threads
The grass is tall fescue. I am located in Southern Illinois, southeast of St. Louis. There is no irrigation system. Also been using menards lawn fertilizer system. The yard is just right at 2 acres.

possum

Threads
Two acres means power equipment so I can tell you what they call for here on fescue fall overseeding. They cut the grass down to two inches. Clean up or bag the clippings. Then they use the core machine to poke holes. Then they use a verticutter to cut grooves. Then they clean up all the loosened thatch. Then they spread seed. Then they verticut the opposite direction. Then they water it up. They use a starter fertilizer. Now this last spring, a church did something a little different. About 3 acres was covered by brick, stone, concrete, metal, wood etc. after a school was demolished and then abandoned by a contractor. The church purchased the area and hired it rough cleaned up and then finished it themselves last winter. This spring a farmer brought in a large tractor and a heavy no till grass seed drill. The kind that CRP farmland is seeded with. He seeded right into the weeds, old grass, and even some rocks. It came up good and they sprayed it with something that burned the grass quite a bit in June. It started to look very poor about a week ago with the heat and no rain for 10 days. Then a bit of rain and it looks pretty good again. My guess is they will overseed it again this fall or spring. Fescue has a hard time here with no irrigation. Old established fescue looks very poor here for about one half of the growing season.

qa12852

Threads
Thanks for the help. The local mower shop has a stand on ex mark aerator, for rent. That's what I will be using. Also I have a tow behind broadcast spreader that I will use and also a walk behind spreader around the house.

possum

Threads
Sounds like a cool project. Take a few pictures of before and after if you can. At least let us know how it goes. Be something interesting and maybe helpful this fall. Sounds like you have a handle on the needed equipment. Should go well with just a bit of luck.

qa12852

Threads
Well ran the aerator in yard today. Might has been concrete! No care for the last ten years! I will probably aerate in the spring and fall next year. I will post some before pictures and some after when I am done overseeding and fertilizing.

possum

Threads
Glad you are getting started. Looking forward to the pictures. Best of luck.