determine if oil starvation will occur for given slope angle

raldem7

Member
Before I invest in a new mower, I would like to know how to determine if oil starvation due to mowing on a slope will be a problem for a specific engine type. In particular, I would like to know if the oil pump might suck air or if if oil would start to flood on a 20% slope for Kawasaki FR. Thanks.
 
I would think the best info. would come from a Kawasaki web site. Or an experienced dealer that can be trusted not to say what you want to hear just to get a sale.
 
My yard is about a 20% slope and I have never had any problems with lack of oil. Most new engines these days have oil monitors on them and will shut down in low oil conditions.
 
Scag says their Kawasaki FEI engine will handle 25 degree slopes continuously in any direction. The Kawasaki FR-Series engines also feature fully pressurized oil delivery, so I'd assume something similar. If you're talking about a riding mower of any standard design, oil starvation will not be a problem at angles you can obtain before crashing and burning. If it's a walk-behind, it might be best to call Kawasaki and ask their tech support. Chances are it won't be a problem, otherwise Google would throw up reports of such occurrences when searched and I didn't see anything.
 
Last edited:
Check engine manufacturer rating for continuous and intermittent.
For Safety, check the tractor manufacturers rating. So if engine says 40% but tractor manufacturer says 30%, than for safety purposes do not exceed 30%.

20% is only 11.46 degrees, so not much of a slope, I would assume most riding lawn mowers could handle that. Our units are rated at 30 degrees continuous (58%) and our Diesel engines are actually rated at 35 degrees continuous, but for safety purposes we rate them at 30 degrees.

So check with both engine and tractor manufacturer and I would take the lowest number. Safety should always come first! :thumbsup:
 
Although most will probably disagree, I have a steep slope in my front yard and because of that slope; I overfill the engine on my mowers slightly to keep the oil level somewhat near their normal operating level when tilted. It doesn't mean a lot of oil either, maybe a quarter of a quart or so does it. These are the old K-series Kohlers though, and this was a recommendation from my Grandfather who has been into small engines for 40+ years.

I have not had a single problem by doing this...but these aren't pressurized systems either, but I have done the same thing to my newly acquired Grasshopper with a Kohler Command; just haven't mowed with it yet.
 
Back
Top