Deck Scalping

alloutdoors

Forum Newbie
Threads
Dear All,

I’m a long-time owner of equipment (all sorts) and for the life of me can’t seem to get a high quality cut out of my newish John Deere X390 with 48” deck. On flat ground, the machine is mowing reasonably well, but in turns, I’m noticing the discharge side scalping a bit and could use some input. I have done the following:

• All tires are set at 12 psi
  • I have leveled the deck according to the manual (left to right and front to back)
  • The gage wheels are set at ½” off the ground
  • I’m mowing at the 3” mark
  • Today, I took the deck off today, sharpen the blades and look everything over. In short, I was thinking a bracket or something may be an issue but didn’t see a problem.
Appreciate any thoughts?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Tires should be 10psi rear and 14psi front. The front deck adjustment looks a little questionable according to the video. I would cut some 2x4s or 4x4s the same height as the supplied adjustment gauge.and set under all four corners.

alloutdoors

Forum Newbie
Threads
Tires should be 10psi rear and 14psi front. The front deck adjustment looks a little questionable according to the video. I would cut some 2x4s or 4x4s the same height as the supplied adjustment gauge.and set under all four corners.
Interesting he never mentioned where to set the outside gage wheels. I have always set them about 1/2" off the concrete when the deck is level. Thanks for sending the vido

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Interesting he never mentioned where to set the outside gage wheels. I have always set them about 1/2" off the concrete when the deck is level. Thanks for sending the vido
1/2” above the ground is fine, as long as your deck isn’t supported by them while mowing.

D

Deleted member 97405

Level the deck within 1/8" side to side, measuring from the floor to the blade tips. (Do not use the yellow tool under the seat) Then point your blade front to back. The front tip of the blade must be 1/4-3/8" LOWER than the rear blade tip. This creates the correct pitch for the blades. If it's perfectly level, both ends of the blade are trying to cut, thus requiring twice the power. If the front is too low, the blades will 'hack' the grass and the cut will look weird. Also, as mentioned above, set your gauge wheels approximately 1/2" off the ground at the cutting height. Hope this helps!