Deck engagement lever rubs steering wheel

Djames210

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello! My John Deere 115 has a minor issue in that when I attempt to engage the deck engagement lever/shaft, it rubs against the steering wheel. Has anyone experienced this issue? Can the lever be bent (down) to fix the problem? Or is it possible to adjust the steering wheel (up) to avoid interfering with the lever? Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hello! My John Deere 115 has a minor issue in that when I attempt to engage the deck engagement lever/shaft, it rubs against the steering wheel. Has anyone experienced this issue? Can the lever be bent (down) to fix the problem? Or is it possible to adjust the steering wheel (up) to avoid interfering with the lever? Thanks
Neither can be moved up or down as their heigh is controlled by bushes fitted to their respective shafts.
The PTO lever is held onto the cable lever by either a pin, roll pin or bolt ( depending upon when it was made ) # 10
So you can knock that out, slide the lever out and bend it down a bit at the end
While it is out get a pair of new bushes GX21044 for the PTO lever # 4 in the diagram below
There is also a top bush for the steering shaft # 5 that stops the wheel flailing around like a dunny door in the wind but I have forgotten if it is an easy job from the top or a PIA job from the bottom requiring the steering shaft to be undone & pulled out .
If you decide to do the top bush then do the bottom 2 # 14 as well
Do not try & bend the PTO lever in place or you will end up bending the two support plates and that will cause you a lot of grief
PTO.jpg

Steering.jpg

Djames210

Forum Newbie
Threads
Your information is incredibly helpful. My JD 115 is a 2006 model but it still looks to be in really nice condition.
I was trying to ‘gently’ bend the PTO lever but was concerned about what it might be attached to inside the machine. Would you say removing the lever and replacing the bushings is a fairly easy task?

Is the purpose of the bushes to ensure a tight fit?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull the cable off, that is easy
Remove what ever is holding the shaft to part #8 in the diagram and it should pull strait up & out.
Been a while since I have done one so can not remember if the steering wheel needs to come off first.
As for the bushed, no shaft should ever turn against a thin plate without a bush to spread the load
Without it there the shaft would flog the hole oval in no time flat .