Export thread

Damage to Bercomac (Craftsman) Snowblower.

K

kevinrc

I live in Nova Scotia, Canada and am gone away for a week or two at a time. When I return home, we have normally gone through some cold and warm cycles in the weather and the snow in my driveway is usually ice or very hard snow. I have used my snowblower a few times this winter and the area around the impeller (the circle) is very worn from using it a couple of times. Paint is gone and heavily scratched. Would a rock guard or bed liner paint help this before it puts a hole there or what other suggestions would the good people of this forum suggest.

D

de dee

I live in Nova Scotia, Canada and am gone away for a week or two at a time. When I return home, we have normally gone through some cold and warm cycles in the weather and the snow in my driveway is usually ice or very hard snow. I have used my snowblower a few times this winter and the area around the impeller (the circle) is very worn from using it a couple of times. Paint is gone and heavily scratched. Would a rock guard or bed liner paint help this before it puts a hole there or what other suggestions would the good people of this forum suggest.
I live in Ottawa Ont. and we get the same mix of weather here,. I plan to paint my berco 44 when it warms up again next spring,. bed liner sounds good but would the snow stick more with that ,. I was thinking of varithane floor coating the one that turns diamond hard, but stays smooth,. the impeller has about 1/4 inch clearance so I can put it on thick multy coats,. and it is slippery when wet,. and it can be waxed,. let me know what you do and how it turns out,. don in Ottawa

exotion

exotion

I live in Ottawa Ont. and we get the same mix of weather here,. I plan to paint my berco 44 when it warms up again next spring,. bed liner sounds good but would the snow stick more with that ,. I was thinking of varithane floor coating the one that turns diamond hard, but stays smooth,. the impeller has about 1/4 inch clearance so I can put it on thick multy coats,. and it is slippery when wet,. and it can be waxed,. let me know what you do and how it turns out,. don in Ottawa

Ya I think bed liner has lots of grooves and wet snow might stick. Something smooth with a wax coating will probably be best.

K

kevinrc

There is enough power that sticking snow isn't a problem. I'm looking for something durable as a protectant for the impellar housing. Thanks for your answers, the diamond hard surface stuff sounds really good. With the amount of room in there a couple of good coats should protect it from the ice. The inside looks like I took a belt sander to it for about a minute. Thanks again guys

D

de dee

There is enough power that sticking snow isn't a problem. I'm looking for something durable as a protectant for the impellar housing. Thanks for your answers, the diamond hard surface stuff sounds really good. With the amount of room in there a couple of good coats should protect it from the ice. The inside looks like I took a belt sander to it for about a minute. Thanks again guys

If you go with the diamond hard varithane ,. thin coats of varithane ,. on my counter top I put 6 or 7 layers,. it drys fast and you can put layers on very fast,.between layers I sanded with oooo fine , it looked like glass,.

D

de dee

If you go with the diamond hard varithane ,. thin coats of varithane ,. on my counter top I put 6 or 7 layers,. it drys fast and you can put layers on very fast,.between layers I sanded with oooo fine , it looked like glass,.

I just bought my tractor PGT 9000 26 hp. a month ago,. does your belt slip when you get in heavy snow, my motor does not slow down ,but the belt slips, then it plugs up,. I shut the clutch off very fast or the belt burns. lost my first belt with only 1 foot of snow, any ideas to get by that ,. Don

P

possum

Sand or rock is pretty hard on the impellar and housing. Paint does not last long and metal wears as well. If you really do find anything that prevents wear on metal I would be very surprised. In fact I would think it would be a earth rending event and worth gazilions. After all things like railcar wheels, locomotive wheels, rail, farm machinery, factory machinery, machine shop tooling etc. could last forever by just brushing on a bit of product. I would just lube my blower well to prevent rust and increase slickness and do it often. Painting at the end of the season is a good idea. I would expect the paint to be gone in about five minutes the following season.

K

kevinrc

De Dee, Sorry it too so long, but I'm an over the road truck driver and just got back. Your belt is slipping. What kind of tractor and snowblower do you have and I'll try to help you out.

K

kevinrc

I just noticied you were the original person that replied so you must have the same blower. I had the same problem as you and I adjusted the piece (can't think of the name) that has the two belts on it where the mower deck would be. Mine has manual engagement and when I engaged the arm that pulls the belt tight was hitting the steering gear. I just moved it down just far enough to clear the gear and it tightened the belt up. I have no slip going through 3 feet of rock hard snow and ice. Hope this helped, took me a while to figure out why belt was slipping. Glad I started in the Spring. HAHA:confused2:

D

de dee

I just noticied you were the original person that replied so you must have the same blower. I had the same problem as you and I adjusted the piece (can't think of the name) that has the two belts on it where the mower deck would be. Mine has manual engagement and when I engaged the arm that pulls the belt tight was hitting the steering gear. I just moved it down just far enough to clear the gear and it tightened the belt up. I have no slip going through 3 feet of rock hard snow and ice. Hope this helped, took me a while to figure out why belt was slipping. Glad I started in the Spring. HAHA:confused2:

thanks for the info on the belt, I will check to morrow, as it will go up to 3 below, almost tropical, for this time of year, 25 below last night,
you are talking about the middle belt that drives the elec. clutch,. I think thats the belt thats slipping,.
my tractor is PGT 9000 built in 2012 the blower is a crarftsman made by berco 44 inch wide,. two stage blower

K

kevinrc

I don't think my reply will be much help. I didn't realize your machine was electric clutch. But regardless something isn't tight so look for something not allowing belt to be tight. Good luck. -22 here last night +8 by tomorrow and heavy rainfall warning. Should make for some overflowing rivers. Heading out now to get rid of two snowfalls while I was gone.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

I don't think my reply will be much help. I didn't realize your machine was electric clutch. But regardless something isn't tight so look for something not allowing belt to be tight. Good luck. -22 here last night +8 by tomorrow and heavy rainfall warning. Should make for some overflowing rivers. Heading out now to get rid of two snowfalls while I was gone.

I woke up and saw a small amount of white fluffy snow. I will wait before blowing it since it is still snowing!

That heavy rain storm will not be good if it freezes at night.

D

de dee

thanks for the info on the belt, I will check to morrow, as it will go up to 3 below, almost tropical, for this time of year, 25 below last night,
you are talking about the middle belt that drives the elec. clutch,. I think thats the belt thats slipping,.
my tractor is PGT 9000 built in 2012 the blower is a crarftsman made by berco 44 inch wide,. two stage blower
I took a look at the belt again, checked if the tention pulley was on the right side, all ok, I have a elec. clutch so the pulley is on tention all the time,. I think I need a stronger spring, like the one on the snow blower, and it looks like I need a new belt soon, I hit a piece of wood in the snow, impeller stopped dead,pulley took a chip out of the belt,. thats why we have dedicated belts that are wrapped to take the shock,. and allow some slippage,. well drive safe ,. and I look forward to clear roads so I CAN RIDE MY SCOOTER AGAIN. KYMCO 300I DOWNTOWN SCOOTER HAPPY TRAILS DON

D

de dee

De Dee, Sorry it too so long, but I'm an over the road truck driver and just got back. Your belt is slipping. What kind of tractor and snowblower do you have and I'll try to help you out.

re.. slipping belt ,. I installed a heavy spring and installed the original spring in tandem,. now it does not slip dont know how long it will last, will find out next snow fall,. my cable that lifts the blower broke,. installed a new one,. now I am making up 10 spares, picked up 50 feet of cable and 6 feet of chain and the rest of the pieces to make the cable for the winch lift on the snow blower

D

de dee

I just bought my tractor PGT 9000 26 hp. a month ago,. does your belt slip when you get in heavy snow, my motor does not slow down ,but the belt slips, then it plugs up,. I shut the clutch off very fast or the belt burns. lost my first belt with only 1 foot of snow, any ideas to get by that ,. Don

I installed a heavy spring on the tentioner and installed the original spring in tandem on it ,. no mo,. re jamming,. there is a limit switch on the lift winch,. thats giving me trouble when it gets cold 20 below,. took it apart and dried it out in the house for 24 hours,. covered it , with dielectric grease,. now I , will find out if that fixed it,. changed the oil and filter full syn. mobil 1,. the filter is the same as my wifes car a elantra 2012 the tractor engine is a kohler sv 735 -3030 ,. until the next storm the best and keep the shinny side up don

D

de dee

my PGT 9000 does not slip any more in the snow blower it,s a craftsman north east 44 inch blower made by berco it has elec. lift, to stop the slipping I installed a heavy spring and put the original spring in tandem, my problem now is the elec. lift for the blower there is a limit switch to stop the winch in the up position and it freezes and it cuts power to the winch up and down,. pita !!!! so I have to wait for the switch to warm up to raise and lower the blower,. o dry it the exhaust warms the front of the blower and melts snow thats how the switch gets water in it I tried to dry it out in the house, but it snowed again and it did not dry enough,. so when it is 20 below it does not work should have put it in the oven to dry it

D

de dee

well got through the winter did not break anouther belt, fixed the elec. problem with a new relay ,. now I am cleaning and greasing the snow blower, taking the whole thing apart, most bearings are frozen on I have to use a puller to get every thing apart,. I hope it go,s together a lot easyer,. thinking of putting belting on the impeller to sweep the edge clean like that guy did last fall, then I will paint the snow blower with varithane , and hope it stops it from rusting ,. well have a good day every one Don from Ottawa with the berco north east 44 inch snow blower