D721 Won't start - Electrical Issue - Revised Question

Greg1881

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / D721 Won't start - Electrical Issue - Revised Question
My 1998 D721 with the Kubota Diesel just won't start. When I try to start it the lights go dim, the starter engages, the selenoid pulls the fuel rod back, but it acts like the battery has no power to even try starting the mower. It will barely crank on the first and second try, then by the third time it won't even crank, but the lights still work. I hooked up the 1 year old battery from my F150 and I get the same exact problem. so I know it is not the battery. Has to be an electrical issue, any suggestions what i can check

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Start with a known good battery. Connect a volt meter to the negative battery post. Not the cable clamp but the actual battery post. Coneect the other lead to engine ground at the starter. Try to start the engine and read the meter. Should read about 1/4 volt ir less. Over half a volt indicates a corroded connection between battery poat and engine ground. Then connect the volt meter between the positive battery post and the other to the large terminal on the starter that is NOT connected to the battery but rather the one closest to the starter body. Try to start the engine. Any reading over 1/2 volt indicates a problem with a corroded connection with the positive cable OR the solenoid contacts of the starter. If the readings are around 1/4 to 1/2 volt when trying to start the engine the high current connections are good.