D105 moves too slow

banjer_t

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a D105 mower that moves too slow. I changed the transmission drive belt but it didn't help. Any info would be appreciated.

D

Deleted member 97405

I have a D105 mower that moves too slow. I changed the transmission drive belt but it didn't help. Any info would be appreciated.

I work at a dealership and will be glad to help.
There are a few bulletins that can help diagnose this.
The first step is to make sure you get all loose debris off the top of the transmission as that can interfere with the external linkage that works the variators.
After cleaning the top of the transmission, let me know how it does.
If you still have issues, please post some pictures of your variators and the top of your transmission.
The last guy I helped on here had a stick stuck underneath the rear variator.
The only way to see it is to look up under the back of the transmission.
Let me know how you make out.
I am usually online 8am-5pm and check in various times during the day.

Will

banjer_t

Forum Newbie
Threads
The first step is to make sure you get all loose debris off the top of the transmission as that can interfere with the external linkage that works the variators.
If you still have issues, please post some pictures of your variators and the top of your transmission.

Will
Thanks.. there's nothing on the transmission. I had it completely out a few weeks ago but this problem has been going on all summer. It's a General Transmission RT 400 I think. Plastic housing. I didn't know if there's an adjustment somewhere maybe or what.

D

Deleted member 97405

Thanks.. there's nothing on the transmission. I had it completely out a few weeks ago but this problem has been going on all summer. It's a General Transmission RT 400 I think. Plastic housing. I didn't know if there's an adjustment somewhere maybe or what.

The next thing I would check is your secondary variator.
Of the two variators, it is the one towards the front.
The last one I had this issue on I had to replace the front (secondary) variator.
The plastic hex shaft it slides on can wear and make it stick.
I have also seen the spring collapse or the screw that holds the cover on the spring can wear through the cover.

Take a look at the bulletin below and let me know how you make out.

If you can't figure it out, try and get some good pics of the variators if you can.

Will

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Capture5.JPG

Capture6.JPG

Capture7.JPG

Capture8.JPG

Capture9.JPG

porkweez

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, Will. I know this thread is almost a year old. But those images may help diagnose my D105 troubles. It won't go uphill. Had the secondary variator replaced 2 years ago, but maybe bad again?? I've got the mower taken apart so I can get at the transmission. Just figuring out what to do now.

popsthemachinist

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi I wanted to see if there was any resolution to this. I replaced the second stage transmission variator because the spring wore through the washer and the spring broke. I got everything together fine and everything appears to work as it should. It shifts fine, mower works fine, but it drives super slow. I took it all apart and cleaned everything three times. Still this thing drives in forward as slow or slower than reverse. The belts appear to be just fine, no visible slipping. Any thoughts on what could have caused this? Prior to changing the variator the speed was just fine. Thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Answered on the other thread you posted for the same problem previous post .
Please refrain from posting the same problem in more than one section.
It makes it very confusing for the people who provide most of the assistance .
And even more confusing when the 2 post are not quite the same .

Banddr2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I hope my experience with this helps others. I purchased used d105 and it would only do 3mph max. Went after the easier transmission belt first. It improved the pedal feel but no increase is speed. I then dropped the transmission and saw the variator belt was worn to 2/3 the thickness of a new belt. Could see a lot of belt dust on top of the tranny. I replaced it along with putting on a new secondary variator pulley/spring assembly. Now it drives like new, almost 7mph according my garmin. The transmission isn’t too difficult to drop, there are videos on youtube how to do it. It seems like a lot of people don’t want to replace that belt because the tranny has to be completely removed. Glad I did it though.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads

Will
FINALLY , we get a new member that is willing to assist in problem solving rather than first feeling the need to chew someone's arse out by telling those how stupid they are .
Thanks Will1988

For those guilty you're wasting your time responding to this post . Ignore function was still alive and well the last i checked .