CV22s ignition system

Quantangler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi! We have a Bobcat ZT200 with a Kohler CV22s-67531 engine (or something like that, it's worn off.) The old ASAM (unless it is DSAM) system was working fine, and suddenly went out on one side, then the spark faded on the other side. Ignition module resistance seemed to be fine for both, but replacing the one module with another out of a CV25S (from another ZT200) worked, though its resistance was different.

We ordered modules that were supposed to replace the OEM replacements of both modules, but they don't fit right and the engine doesn't advance properly. (They seem to be for a smaller flywheel.) I think a conversion kit would be best, but we have some questions. We didn't know where to ask, because Bobcat and Kohler seem to have deleted the information, at least from our local offices. I saw a couple related topics on this forum that were helpful, so I thought I would ask here.

It seems there are kits to convert to MDI and CDI. So, my questions are:

A. Are there really 2 kits to choose from? It's hard to verify this stuff.

B. I would like to know, if possible, which ignition module each kit uses, so I can find a source for replacement in future. (We'll probably get a set to have on hand, as well.)

C. I wonder how each kit will affect engine performance.

D. I wonder if you guys have any other advice or information that may be useful.

Thank you.

(I expect we'll also either get a kit for the CV25s on the other ZT200 or replace that engine based partly on how this turns out, but that's another topic.)

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Per PB-265 the following is what you for your engine. 25 hp uses a different setup.

For 22 hp or 23 hp Engine Specifications 66XXX, 67XXX, or 76XXX
Order kit 24 755 307-S from your source of supply.
This kit converts the engine from ASAM ignition to CDI (capacitive discharge) fixed ignition.

The conversion kit includes two new ignition modules, new flywheel, duplex lead, and installation instructions.

Quantangler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Per PB-265 the following is what you for your engine. 25 hp uses a different setup.

For 22 hp or 23 hp Engine Specifications 66XXX, 67XXX, or 76XXX
Order kit 24 755 307-S from your source of supply.
This kit converts the engine from ASAM ignition to CDI (capacitive discharge) fixed ignition.

The conversion kit includes two new ignition modules, new flywheel, duplex lead, and installation instructions.
Thanks so much for the bulletin reference!

Quantangler

Forum Newbie
Threads
I found a store with the part in stock according to its website and asked someone to pick one up. They came back with part # 25 707 03-s, which is MDI, instead of CDI, and doesn't have a flywheel. It has the right mower listed on the receipt, but I am having trouble finding another source that verifies it will work. (The kit says PB 259, which doesn't list this mower.) If I try it, it becomes non-returnable. Anyone know about this kit?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
They are going by PB-259 but your engine is covered by PB-265

1697744771636.png1697744847607.png

Quantangler

Forum Newbie
Threads
They are going by PB-259 but your engine is covered by PB-265

View attachment 67053View attachment 67054
I called them, and they say their distributer says our flywheel is compatible with the kit they sold me, but they can order the flywheel kit to be sure.

They have the original ignition modules as 24 584 89-s, but I can't verify, because they were replaced when we bought it.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Return the 25 707 03-S if you can and get the correct coversion kit 24 755 307-S Star mentioned. That is the only way to be sure it will work correctly. The 25 707 03-S will not work properly with your flywheel assuming it is the original factory flywheel. It will be out of time. If you look at the modules that came in that 25 707 03-S kit you will likely find the number 24 584 89 on them so ordering more of the wrong module isn't going to help.

Even seasoned parts people who deal with Kohler parts everyday often get these coversion kits mixed up and supply the wrong kit or parts.

If still in doubt call Kohler directly at 800-544-2444

Quantangler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys, here's the update: We have the kit (marked 24 755 307-S) partially installed, but something isn't right, because one CDI module doesn't fit flipped over. The spark plug wire runs into the exhaust pipe. According to the information we have found, everything is right. The instructions are marked 24 790 35, and are for both CDI and MDI conversion kits. For CDI, it says "On cylinder 1, the single kill tab should be towards you (out). On cylinder 2, the single kill tab should be away from you (in)." Cylinder 1 should be on the left when looking at the "V", where the carb is, according to a parts dealer. The service manual shows this for cylinder 1, except the spark plug wire is on the ground pin pair side, rather than the kill tab side, which would fit. (Cylinder 2 is barely in the picture, but it looks the same from what we can see.) So, I wonder if I am looking at this backwards or what...
Any advice?

Attachments

• Resized_20231117_164624.jpeg
    Resized_20231117_164624.jpeg
    474.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Resized_20231117_164657.jpeg
    Resized_20231117_164657.jpeg
    435.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Resized_20231117_164835.jpeg
    Resized_20231117_164835.jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 2

VegetiveSteam

Threads
You can simply flip it over. And whatever that goop is all over the mounting post, clean that off. The module and mounting boss need to be clean. Otherwise, the module can't ground properly.

Quantangler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, I'll try flipping it over. I wasn't sure if that was a good idea, since I am not familiar with the new modules, but I don't see how it would hurt to try.

We polished the mounting boss shiny on top, for good ground. I was surprised when someone had put goop on it. I think it's the kind for electrical connections, so they were trying to protect the ground.