cutting off plastic on bottom of discharge

ross93

Threads
has anyone cut the plastic piece under the side discharge on the silver series duraforce mowers?
I think its a brace for mulching and bagging, but it clogs up discharge

It's the bottom left of the pic.
http://www.mytractorforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=204288&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1332265503

attachment.php

Fireman 123

Threads
Yes. Worked much better. Never liked that design.

ross93

Threads
well I cut it off yesterday and tried it out on some very thick, damp and tall grass. it still clumped some but NEVER clogged. ill have to clean up the cuts and it should be even better! with the removal of that and the extra mulch blade/lifter its a whole new mower!

Phototone

Threads
Its just a mandated safety feature. I always cut mine off. Hack saw makes short work of it. The LawnBoys without the stone-guard on the exit, really fans the clippings out better than any other mower type I know of.

impalass

Threads
well I cut it off yesterday and tried it out on some very thick, damp and tall grass. it still clumped some but NEVER clogged. ill have to clean up the cuts and it should be even better! with the removal of that and the extra mulch blade/lifter its a whole new mower!
Why discharge the grass clipping when you are using a mulcher blade?

Phototone

Threads
Why discharge the grass clipping when you are using a mulcher blade?

The standard LawnBoy blade, as shown on the OP's post does a fine job of discharging the clippings, better than other brands of mowers with standard blades.

ross93

Threads
UPDATE: I asked the local lawn mower shop about cutting that piece off. he said it was a brace for the deck and if you cut that piece off it will crack the rest of your deck. sure enough my deck had 5 or so cracks all over it (my plastic deck brace was cracked before I removed it). with the plastic piece cut off I can bend that part of the deck with my hands (it does springs back). I bumped down on the sidewalk and the front flexed down and the blade cut a little but of the front center of the deck.

I had to bust out the welder with this one. welded up all the cracks and made a brace that goes over the top of the deck so it does not block the grass flow. the brace looks a little ghetto and id do it slightly different next time, but it stiffened the deck up nicely. i have not been able to clog it, almost never "mohawks" the grass. i don't even have to raise the deck to mow tall grass. its a beast

i would only cut of this piece if you can weld up a brace and want to chance the deck cracking. but hell there cheap enough you could just throw it in the gutter and go buy another if it messed up the deck.

and yeah i have the mulch blade removed.