Export thread

Cutting in Slow Motion

Q

qtband

I've had this mower since it was new. Lately, the accelerator pedal is harder to push down and I can only move slowly. I replaced the drive and transmission belts thinking it would help but it didn't. I also inspected the variable speed pulley when I had it out and it still moves up and down.
Has anyone had similar issues or know the solution?

myYard Man.jpg

gfp55

gfp55

Do the front wheels spin freely? Are the rear axle bushings on the axle housing in good shape? Maybe you could post the model # of your rider?

Q

qtband

Front wheels are fine. Axle bearings are good.

S

SeniorCitizen

Were the belts you replaced bad? Did you replace them with MTD belts?

If the above is yes, try positioning the speed control in the slowest speed and while there cut the switch off without touching anything else. Now dismount and look to see where the variable of the variable pulley is positioned. Re-start and repeat in the tallest speed setting. The variable should now be to the opposite side of its travel from where it was in the lowest speed setting.

Fish

Fish

Yeah, posting your mower's model numbers would be helpful....

gfp55

gfp55

What about the brakes, are they fully released, not binding or stuck on?

Q

qtband

The model is a 608 Yard Machine.
It only has a "F-N-R". No speed selection. I think I'm going to remove the variable speed pully and double check it. I can't think of anything else.

S

SeniorCitizen

It only has a "F-N-R". No speed selection. I think I'm going to remove the variable speed pully and double check it. I can't think of anything else.

With no operator speed selection it seems as if it will be mowing in slow motion the remainder of its life. :confused2:

gfp55

gfp55

Check the double idler pulleys and bracket to see if they are moving smoothly and freely also. What about the both belts, are they in good shape and not stretched out too long. Have you ever replaced them?

Q

qtband

I did replace both belts.
If it's running this slow, and I can't fix it, it'll be time for a new one.

Fish

Fish

So you cannot post the model numbers off of the tag under the seat?

You say that you have no "speed selection", how in the hell do you think this thing works????

Q

qtband

So you cannot post the model numbers off of the tag under the seat?

You say that you have no "speed selection", how in the hell do you think this thing works????

The tag is disintegrated beyond the first 3 digits.
This thing works with a variable speed pulley. You put it in "F" and the harder you press the pedal, the more the tension on the drive belt. That tension shifts the double pulley allowing the drive belt to ride on the inner part of the pulley which moves the pulley up forcing the transmission drive belt to ride on the outside of the upper pulley. This action changes the drive ratio making the tractor go faster.
This is where my problem was.
The spring tension on the transmission bracket was too high. So high that it was not letting the pulley move. I changed the spring to a lighter one and I now have speed and the pedal is easy to push.
Thanks to all who replied and helped. Without checking the things suggested, I wouldn't have found my problem!