Cutting Deck Problem

motomike

Threads
Hi, I've noticed the cut quality of the right side of my 42" mower deck has declined recently. I raised the mower on the lift and neither blade spins super smooth with the right blade being the worst. I put replacement jackshafts and housings on it about 7 yrs ago. Might be time to do it again? What is typically needed, both jackshafts and housings or just one or the other? I greased these good while I had it lifted, maybe that will improve things for a while at least?

1999 Murray model no. 42591x31A.

Thanks for any assistance!

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Parts Manual for your tractor above. A good project at the end of mowing season. Remove spindles from deck, disassemble, clean & inspect all parts for wear, spin bearings by hand checking for smoothness, order worn out parts & new grease for packing spindles, keep us posted, thanks Mark
Clean underside of deck spotless, clean, inspect, sharpen, & balance blades.

motomike

Threads
Thanks for the reply, my deck was very clean underneath and the blades look real good(they were new this year). Last time I replaced the spindles, they were complete assemblies with the jackshafts installed. Do the jackshafts simply pull out of the housings for inspection/cleaning?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes
Pull the pulley off at the top then tap the spindle out to the bottom

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Yes
Pull the pulley off at the top then tap the spindle out to the bottom
Cut quality has nothing to do with noisy grinding bearings in worn out blade spindles. Cut quality is from ground speed, type of blades, sharpness of blades, deck being level, clean deck underneath, correct engine RPM, etc.

motomike

Threads
Cut quality has nothing to do with noisy grinding bearings in worn out blade spindles. Cut quality is from ground speed, type of blades, sharpness of blades, deck being level, clean deck underneath, correct engine RPM, etc.
My unit is in good shape blade wise and the deck being level. I run the engine wide open when mowing. What pointed me to a possible spindle problem is the fact that just the right side seems to not being cut well.

motomike

Threads
I used the old Murray yesterday to mostly chop up the leaves around the yard. Rain it almost 2 hrs and I have to brag on the old guy, he ran flawlessly. Started up easily after sitting about a month, pulled great, engine running smooth. New battery this year and I added 2 lock washers to each connection to help keep them tight, that seems to be working well. I had sourced a new Briggs starter a few years ago and it works perfect and smooth. This is a 1999 unit with the 17hp Twin 2 Briggs that must have well over a 1000 hrs on it. Put new Champion plugs in the engine recently and changed the oil. Trying to keep fresh 87 octane non ethanol gas with stabilizer in it during the cold months.

I do have a question though, I want to pull the deck and service the spindles. What grease is best to use to repack the bearings?