Cutting Deck Belt Problem

kthb48

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently came to own a Craftsman lawn tractor model #247288851. The mower had died. Unfortunately the cutting deck was activated so the belt was stretched out and needed to be replaced once I fixed the tractor. I went to the Sears store and got the appropriate replacement belt (Part # 954-04219). Well this belt is about 3-4 inches to long. They insist I have the right belt. Has anyone had a problem like this? Or know how to get around this problem? I have added a picture of the slack in the belt. The deck is in the cutting position. Thanks for any help in advance

Attachments

• 140421 032.jpg
    140421 032.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 12

Mower Doctor 78006

Threads
That is the correct belt for your riding mower per your model number. Make sure the belt is routed correctly. with pto off there should be slack so the deck disengages. With pto on the belt should be tight.

I recently came to own a Craftsman lawn tractor model #247288851. The mower had died. Unfortunately the cutting deck was activated so the belt was stretched out and needed to be replaced once I fixed the tractor. I went to the Sears store and got the appropriate replacement belt (Part # 954-04219). Well this belt is about 3-4 inches to long. They insist I have the right belt. Has anyone had a problem like this? Or know how to get around this problem? I have added a picture of the slack in the belt. The deck is in the cutting position. Thanks for any help in advance

Attachments

• 247.288851 Mower deck.png
    247.288851 Mower deck.png
    84.5 KB · Views: 6

kthb48

Forum Newbie
Threads
I believe it is the 46" deck. I have fixed my own tractors for a few years now. I am not sure why this one is having the problem. Did they make this model with a 42" deck? I am 100% sure I have the belt run property, even had a second set of eyes on it. It seems odd to me. Could it be that the wrong belt size was in the package?