Cub RZT54s Transmission Issue

delarooster

Forum Newbie
Threads
Dear forum folk,
I have a particular issue where, after the mower has warmed up for ~15 minutes, when I engage the forward pedal the mower will sit, wait, and then slowly engage to go forward. This is most pronounced, not surprisingly, when I'm about to go up a hill, but even on moderately flat terrain I've noticed this more and more.
Seems like there could be a low fluid issue in one (or both) of the hydros; I read they are sealed units but has anyone tried adding fluid? And if so, what kind?
I've had my mower since 2015 and it has worked pretty much flawlessly, only requiring regular maintenance. End of last season I took my RZT to my local dealer and had everything serviced, including replacing the drive belt. I didn't have this issue earlier in the season... perhaps warmer weather thins out whatever is in my transmission housings!

Thanks for your help,
Austin

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do your transmissions have filters, resevoirs, drain plugs? If filters, transmissions should be serviceable.
Read through this information & see if it helps.
Ask your Cub Cadet Dealer if he can service your transmissions or rebuild them with kit.

Last edited:

delarooster

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I went and talked with my local Cub dealer, got some 20w-50 oil, and topped off the reservoirs with about 1/4 qt each side with new fluid. Same problem. Any idea if these hydro-gears are rebuildable or is it a complete replacement?

fixit1ddh

Threads
This might help with what has happened and a cheaper repair.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First before doing like pulling the hydros check the drive belt tension idler arm for freedom of movement. I have seen these to freeze causing drive belt slippage.