Repairs cub cadet/ zts 48... issues with PTO shutting off while mowing

flipping7

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / cub cadet/ zts 48... issues with PTO shutting off while mowing
I just used my brand new cub cadet zero turn S48.. $4700 ! My issue with this machine is the PTO disengages while I'm riding it so I have to re-engage it again to go back to the grass area I missed.
My dealer said it must be the safety feature of the seat. If I'm bouncing too much, it shuts off automatically. My question is why is the engine is running if its a safety feature is working.?

ASEAudie

Threads
I just used my brand new cub cadet zero turn S48.. $4700 ! My issue with this machine is the PTO disengages while I'm riding it so I have to re-engage it again to go back to the grass area I missed.
My dealer said it must be the safety feature of the seat. If I'm bouncing too much, it shuts off automatically. My question is why is the engine is running if its a safety feature is working.?

The switch is designed to cancel the cutter deck, not the engine.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

I don't believe it's the safety switch in the seat, if it was the mower would shut down entirely not just the pto. There should be a PTO safety switch and it probably isn't set correctly. If you're trying to mow in reverse the pto will shut down automatically and engage when you resume forward. I had the same problem with both my CC ztr mowers and I just disconnected the switches and used a jumper wires and solved the problem, I wouldn't recommend doing that unless the unit is out of warranty however. If it's a new unit take it back to the shop and have them check the setting on the Pto switch or have the pto switch replaced.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have worked on more that one rider over the years that would shut down the pto only when bouncing around on the seat and would not kill the engine. I say it is the bouncing around on the seat that is causing the problem. Make sure that the seat is as far back as you can drive it because the further forward the seat is adjusted the more sensitive it will be to boucing.

flipping7

Forum Newbie
Threads
The switch is designed to cancel the cutter deck, not the engine.

I know that.. except the switch cancels by itself. even if the PTOswitch is pulled to engage.

flipping7

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have worked on more that one rider over the years that would shut down the pto only when bouncing around on the seat and would not kill the engine. I say it is the bouncing around on the seat that is causing the problem. Make sure that the seat is as far back as you can drive it because the further forward the seat is adjusted the more sensitive it will be to boucing.

i tried that and I will try again today. Thanks

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ok try a little test. Start the mower, run the speed up on the engine like you're going to mow, engage the pto and take off the parking brake and just stand up, see what happens. Every Cub Cadet mower I've owned Tractor and ZTR will completely shut down if you come off the seat. I don't believe bouncing around on the seat has anything to do with the pto, the switch under the seat is an automatic shut off (like a kill switch) so you can't leave the mower without disengaging the pto first and engaging the parking brake at that point you can leave the mower while it's running.

flipping7

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't believe it's the safety switch in the seat, if it was the mower would shut down entirely not just the pto. There should be a PTO safety switch and it probably isn't set correctly. If you're trying to mow in reverse the pto will shut down automatically and engage when you resume forward. I had the same problem with both my CC ztr mowers and I just disconnected the switches and used a jumper wires and solved the problem, I wouldn't recommend doing that unless the unit is out of warranty however. If it's a new unit take it back to the shop and have them check the setting on the Pto switch or have the pto switch replaced.

I believe you are correct. I agree with you. I rode it today and it did it again. So I'm having it sent back to check the PTO switch adjustment. Thanks ...