Cub Cadet ZT2 or Toro Timecutter

kdo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys. Im looking to buy my first zero turn. Im looking for a residential and will be cutting about 3.5 acres. I have been looking at the Cub Cadet ZT2 and the Toro Timecutter. Does anyone have experience with these two? If so, pros and cons and recommendations on the one you would go with.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First a disclaimer, I’m a Toro guy, so I favor the Toro. The Cub Cadet is manufactured by MTD, who produces equipment for many brands, just paints them a different color. Personally I feel that if you had them sitting side by side you would see that the Toro has a more quality build. I’ve done maintainance and repairs on both units and MTD is probably the cheapest unit out there today. You don’t tell us which units you are looking at or the type of conditions it will be operating in, but my belief is that the Toro will easily outlast the Cub.

Reactions: kdo

kdo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Rivets thanks for the info. I'm looking at the cub cadet ultima zt2 60 and the Toro timecutter 60. I will be cutting about 3.5 acres with a few rolling hills. Also some of the areas gets fairly dusty if we go a couple of weeks without rain.

cruzenmike

Threads
They are both priced roughly the same, have similar specs and both carry 3 year unlimited hour warranties. If you dive into the specs, there are a few small differences but none of which will make a difference in your cut. If you are paying cash, buy whichever one you like the look of most. If you are financing, buy the one that has the best finance offer. The reality of it is, these are nearing the top of the consumer zero turns, but are still a skip away from commercial units. It's not to say that they will not perform well, or that they will not last a long time, it's just that you are not paying for anything that has been built or designed to take any abuse. With that being said, treat whichever machine you get with respect and be meticulous about maintenance. If it were me I would go for the Toro as well. Reasons: The 24.5 hp engine used in the Toro is essential the same as what I had in my Exmark Radius and it was both smooth and powerful. The Toro has a blade tip speed nearing 19,000 fpm which is blazing fast and should leave an excellent cut. Lastly, Toro is a 100 year old company that has been making zero turns for decades, including those which have been engineered and built for Exmark, the industry leader in commercial mowers; they know what they are doing. In the end, I do not think you will be disappointed with either.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Also, think about which dealer you feel will help you out the best down the road. Machines are only as good as the person standing behind them. We have a dealer here that undercuts the prices, but their service and customer relations is poor. Most people are finding out that a good up front price ends up costing them later with this guy.