Cub Cadet XT1 LT42 throwing up lots of dust and dirt

Colorado Mower

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Cub Cadet XT1 LT42 throwing up lots of dust and dirt
Hi, just got my mower (Cub Cadet XT1 LT42) delivered this morning and it is throwing up a ton of dust and dirt. Felt like PigPen from Peanuts. If the wind shifted I was toast. I live on a rural property, so my lawn isn't as pristine as a residential lawn. I do have some spotty patches and areas where gophers have done some damage. I did not have the deck all the way down, tried it 1/2 way down and all the way up. Grass is pretty short right now but did a sample run through a few taller weeds and both the mower and I are covered in dirt. Do you think switching over to a mulching kit will help? On hold right now with CC, but I've been on hold for 45 minutes....

gotomow

Threads
Mulch kit would help significantly, go for it asap.

gotomow

Threads
Pretty easy to put on?
Yes very easy to install. Over the years Cub has used a pin and strap or bolt on setup for the cover Just put the cover on and do some mowing. The kit comes with mulching blades but like you said you don't have a pristine suburban lawn. Use it with the regular blades until you get the chance to swap out and put the mulching blades on.

Colorado Mower

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes very easy to install. Over the years Cub has used a pin and strap or bolt on setup for the cover Just put the cover on and do some mowing. The kit comes with mulching blades but like you said you don't have a pristine suburban lawn. Use it with the regular blades until you get the chance to swap out and put the mulching blades on.
Sweet! Thanks!

wizard4878

Threads
have same issue with mine, its the 46" deck. I wouldn't say the mulching kit made much if any difference, just changed where the dirt, dust, and grass clippings flew out at. I started a thread a year or so ago on here about this issue asking about buying or building some form of deck curtain or baffle around the bottom of the deck, however I have not done it, just living with the problem and learned not to mow when its windy

Colorado Mower

Forum Newbie
Threads
have same issue with mine, its the 46" deck. I wouldn't say the mulching kit made much if any difference, just changed where the dirt, dust, and grass clippings flew out at. I started a thread a year or so ago on here about this issue asking about buying or building some form of deck curtain or baffle around the bottom of the deck, however I have not done it, just living with the problem and learned not to mow when its windy
Wizard4878 Did it matter what height you had the deck at? I think I'm going to try the mulch plug and try to mow when the grass is longer and after rain to help cut down on the dust. I'm also going to go through and manually knock down the gopher mounds while the grass is still pretty short.

wizard4878

Threads
Wizard4878 Did it matter what height you had the deck at? I think I'm going to try the mulch plug and try to mow when the grass is longer and after rain to help cut down on the dust. I'm also going to go through and manually knock down the gopher mounds while the grass is still pretty short.
no, not really, unless you go all the way down so its riding on the deck wheels which of course will scalp the lawn.
I also try only to mow within a day of a rain, but sometimes that's not an option...