Cub Cadet XT1 keeps dying 15 mins after engaging blades

gilesitis@gmail.com

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Cub Cadet XT1 keeps dying 15 mins after engaging blades
I have a Cub Cadet XT1 (LT50) that keeps dying after I’ve engaged the blades for about 15 minutes. The mower only has 38 hours on it, but I’ve had for 4 years so warranty is over.

Engine: Koehler engine KT735-725

I changed air filter, oil, plugs, and fuel filter about a year ago. I got one of those maintenance kits from Tractor Supply. Starting to question the fuel filter, since it is a little smaller than the original.

It started acting up with engine surging last year, which prompted the maintenance. I also noticed the spark plug leads will come loose occasionally (guess from all the vibration), but within a few minutes it continues to surge after re-securing the plugs.

This summer, it no longer surges after starting, but starts to surge when I’ve engaged PTO for about 15-20 mins. I am able to turn off blades and drive it home. If I do not, it will go dead in the yard.

I can usually go out the next day and it fires right up and I can mow another 15-20 mins before the cycle repeats.

I double checked the air filter after it died tonight and noticed a little bit of white smoke rising up from the air intake. There is also a small amount of oil around the air filter housing.

I have also tested potential vapor lock issues by removing gas cap when it starts to surge/die, but didn’t make a difference.

At this point, I am not sure what to look for next. Does anyone have a suggestion of what may be happening? We don’t have many small engine shops, so hoping to DIY repair, or else I may be waiting months for a repair.

Thanks in advance to anyone at all that could offer some advice.

God bless

jviews12

Threads
I wonder if it is overheating. It is cold at first, then warms up pretty quickly so I would expect failure sooner, but if grass in the shroud is preventing cooling, coils and such will overheat. It may be fuel delivery associated. I would reverse blow out the fuel filter, and test the fuel pump by disconnecting the carb hose and running the starter. Is there a volume issue? Just want to rule that out. We kinda need figure if it is electric, or fuel. When it dies and will not re-start, try starting fluid in air cleaner. If starts is a fuel issue.

gilesitis@gmail.com

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check operation of rollover fuel valve above, is valve sticking?
Is engine at full throttle before engaging PTO?
Thanks, that’s a possibility with the valve. I think I may have discovered the issue. In the tank there is some debris at the bottom right at the hole where the fuel line meets the tank. Going to try and fish that out.

gilesitis@gmail.com

Forum Newbie
Threads
I wonder if it is overheating. It is cold at first, then warms up pretty quickly so I would expect failure sooner, but if grass in the shroud is preventing cooling, coils and such will overheat. It may be fuel delivery associated. I would reverse blow out the fuel filter, and test the fuel pump by disconnecting the carb hose and running the starter. Is there a volume issue? Just want to rule that out. We kinda need figure if it is electric, or fuel. When it dies and will not re-start, try starting fluid in air cleaner. If starts is a fuel issue.
Thank you so much, I be it may indeed be fuel related. Ended up finding some junk in the gas tank. Probably cutting down the fuel supply and not letting it run long with the blades on. Any tips for getting the junk out? Tank is half full, so I could siphon, remove tank and blow it out. Unless there’s a quicker way. Gotta finish the other half of the yard lol

jviews12

Threads
Thank you so much, I be it may indeed be fuel related. Ended up finding some junk in the gas tank. Probably cutting down the fuel supply and not letting it run long with the blades on. Any tips for getting the junk out? Tank is half full, so I could siphon, remove tank and blow it out. Unless there’s a quicker way. Gotta finish the other half of the yard lol
Drain, remove, wash with hot soap and water, then dry. Reverse blow out fuel filter and or change as needed. Make certain you re-install in same direction so use phone to take picture before disassembly. Blow out gas hose/lines to be clean and empty including line from fuel pump to carb. Get NEW GAS in a clean can. That is how I do it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Remove the fuel filling cap
Remove the fuel line from the fuel pump or filter, which ever one is closest to the fuel tank
place a containers on the floor then put the hose in it
the fuel will usually drain out all by itself , but some times you need to pressurise the fuel tank a little to get the flow started , or if you enjoy the taste of petrol suck the fuel line
Drain the tank the best you can
If the mower is level it will drain out dry
Leave the tank open for a couple of days ( a week is better )
Put an air line on the open end of the fuel line & pump a lot of air through
This usually picks up all of the small bits of grass & blows them out of the tank , so do it outside .
Bigger stuff can be pulled out with some stick tape tacked onto the end of a stick or similar device but it has to be dry for the "lint remover " to work .

TonyPrin

Threads
I'm wondering about the deck. It could be a grass accumulation or another problem with the belts sticking or spindles that puts stress on the engine, causing a stall.

Last edited:

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
When I run into one with trash in the tank I take a kerosene hand pump with squeez bulb and siphon the gas and trash out. Then take an air hose and blow the tank out. Then install a new fuel filter. Works for me.