Cub Cadet RZT 50 with Kawasaki FR691V runs bad after short time mowing

Tazenman

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Cub Cadet RZT 50 with Kawasaki FR691V runs bad after short time mowing
Hello everyone! New to the forum and have an issue with my Kawasaki FR691V engine on my Cub Cadet RZT 50 zero turn mower. I do not have the serial number for the engine, can't seem to locate it. It was manufactured sometime between 12/2010 and 01/2011. This is a 24.0 HP 726cc engine.
This mower has run really well over the years and I have tried to keep it maintained. I started out this year earlier than normal and ran it before I serviced it and it worked great. I changed the oil and oil filter before my second run and it seem to run fine until the end of the cut, 3 acres. It started to sound like it was running out of gas so I filled it up and finished cutting the grass. The 3rd time to mow, it did the same thing, felt like it was running out of gas. Since it was full I knew something was up. First I thought it was bad gas, removed the gas tank and cleaned it out, replaced the fuel filter. (the top of the filter looked good but the bottom was full of junk.) At this point I figured trash got into the carburetor so I took it off, took it apart, as much as I could, cleaned and blasted all holes with carb cleaner, put it back together, re-installed, and replaced the air filter. Ran great for 20 to 30 minutes, then did the same thing, sounded like it was running out of gas, I have to choke it around 95% to get it to run. Even then it would run bad. OK So I did not get the carb cleaned good enough. Ordered and installed new carb, ran for about 5 minutes, same thing, like I was running out of gas. Used choke at about 95% to keep it running to get back to garage. Did some research and hear bad coils could be an issue. I started the mower, ran it until it started to run bad, I gloved up really good and pulled a spark plug wire and it ran even worse, put wire back on spark plug, engine ran back to the normal bad state, did the same to the other side, same thing. So the coils seem to be good. I did notice the magnet area on the fly wheel was a little rusty, cleaned that up. I took the coils off, cleaned the surface rust off them reinstalled, setting the gap at around .009". Started it back up and it seem to run great. Went out and started mowing and this time it ran ok for about 30 to 45 minutes. Same thing, sounded like it was running out of gas, had to use the choke to get it back to the garage. So I have clean gas, new carb, seemingly good spark... I am out of ideas of what could be causing this!
Thank you for reading this long post but I wanted to give as much details I could.
Does anyone out there know what to check next?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Replace the fuel pump. Pull the fuel pickup from the tank and check for anything cloggong it. Check the tank vent.

Tazenman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for your reply! I did pull the tank off and pulled all hoses out, cleaned the tank but did not really check the hoses, that is going to be my next step. Replace the hoses since this is about 9 to 10 years old. I went down to mess with it some this morning and when it started acting up, I could see air bubbles coming into the fuel filter. The fuel filter is between the fuel tank and the fuel pump and the air bubbles were coming from the hose that runs from the tank to the filter. So there might be something wrong were it is sucking air and not getting enough fuel in the carb, maybe?

Oh and I forgot to mention in my original post that I removed the gas cap when it started messing up to see if the gas cap vent was not working, made no difference. It is a brand new cap as well.

I was looking at the fuel pumps on Amazon, they have some that are 8 bucks and some from Kawasaki that are 25 or so. Do you suggest staying with the OEM fuel pump?

Thanks again!

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you have air bubbles coming into the filter you have something leaking. Pull the pickup from the tank and pinch off the fuel line before the carb and put a few psi of air into the fuel tank pickup and look for an air leak.

Tazenman

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you have air bubbles coming into the filter you have something leaking. Pull the pickup from the tank and pinch off the fuel line before the carb and put a few psi of air into the fuel tank pickup and look for an air leak.
That is exactly what I am going to do. Wanted to try this yesterday but work has me really busy. I hope to get to it tomorrow. I really need this mower, the grass is getting tall! ;-)

Tazenman

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread, work exploded! I resolved the issue by replacing the fuel pump. What I did not realize is the fuel pump is pulse activated and there is a small screen on the out side. The screen was clogged up so it would pump ok for a while then stop pumping. I guess I would clear it some when removing the pump and looking under the plastic cover, put it all back together and it would run great, until the screen clogged up again. Anyway if anyone has an issue where the mower runs ok for a while then acts like it is running out of fuel, check the fuel pump!