Cub Cadet LTX1046 rear oil-fill plug won't unscrew

seniorbiker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have slight gear oil leak out of rear axle. Would like to add some gear oil occasionally. Removed battery, removed tin plate. tried to remove oil plug with allen wrench......wouldn't budge. Even tried my Ryobi lipo impact driver. Didn't work either.

Is the plug reverse thread??? Does it have Loctite and must be heated to remove???

Any help would be appreciated.

Brian902

Threads
I would be looking to apply some heat and if you have a temperature reading gun, heat to about 200 degrees and retry.

They put all kinds of sealant and or locktite on these things that can make them very hard to remove.

Good luck.

Retiredcarguy

Threads
Yes, the right amount of heat can help!

The filler plug may have NOT had any or the correct sealant applied in the past and for that very reason it seized in the case.

Also tap the plug lightly with a hammer to loosen the "seize" on the gearbox case. Go easy with the hammer!

seniorbiker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys............will try heat and tapping. :thumbsup:

Brian902

Threads
Yes I keep forgetting the hammer tap method. It helps to break free the aluminum to steel bond. But go light, no sense breaking a casing.

Heat and penetrating fluid should be your friend.

Impact air tool is good too.

If allen wrench is nice and tight a good steady pressure is sometimes better than beating on the end of it. The too can strip the heads.

Heard adding valve grinding compound to the allen wrench can help tighten up the fit if it's loose.

Good Luck.

Anti-seize is your friend when replacing.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The shock required to transmit the loosening torque depends upon a good fit of the allen wrench. Be sure to try the range in metric if you have not. I have also ground down an oversized allen wrench to a tap-in fit into the plug . Be sure the allen wrench bottoms in the plug socket. Allen wrench arms are made for "average tightening torque" and often are not long enough. Try a close fitting tube or pipe to extend the alllen wrench arm . This is somewhat risky, but has bailed me a number of times. Wear goggles. The grinding under size takes patience. IMO:thumbsup:

seniorbiker

Forum Newbie
Threads
A lot of good tips here guys. Been mowing a lot so have not had time to get in there again. Will try over the weekend. Thanks again.:thumbsup: