Cub Cadet LTX 1050VT leaking oil on to drive pulley and belt.

dahermit

Threads
  • / Cub Cadet LTX 1050VT leaking oil on to drive pulley and belt.
May 2009 Cub Cadet LTX 1050VT is leaking oil down from what I assume is the seal on the shaft that comes out of the engine. The oil is getting on the drive belt and causing it to slip when mowing up hill were I have not had a problem before.

I have faithfully changed the oil and the oil filter since I bought this machine. Why is this six year-old machine leaking oil? My yard is such that I can mow the whole thing in just under an hour.

I live in Michigan so this mower is only used about once a week from May to about the middle of September. Is such to be expected of a machine that is used this little? Or is this par for the course (to be expected), for a six year-old machine with that amount of use?

The engine is a Briggs & Stratton Model 44M777 Intek Extended Life Series.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It is somewhat rare for the bottom seal to leak, but does happen. Something that I would check would be to see if the the crankshaft moves side to side when you release pressure on the belts. I have seen more than one briggs in the size range cut a groove in the oil pan bearing and then will cause the seal to leak when you put pressure on the belts.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
degrease the mower thoroughly then run it , hood removed checking for leaks.
Usually a leaking main drops oil down onto the top of the pulleys from where it gets flung off, totally missing the belts.
Oil seeping down from the dip stick tube or oil filter, drips directly down and usually finds the belt.