Cub Cadet i1046 Front Wheel Axle

aussie_cub_cadet

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all.

Having problems with the Left front wheel pivoting. It seems to be bound up. Regreased axle but still hard to turn. Disconnected everything else attached to the steering, just wont pivot or very hard to move. How do I remove the axle from the housing?
here's a pic if that helps

thanks

Attachments

• IMG20210522144941.jpg
    IMG20210522144941.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
With things disassembled as you got it, the spindle should slide out though with it binding it may have to be driven out but hopefully if you got any movement you may be able rotate back and forth while trying to pull it out.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’ve had to heat the casting to get some of them out without damaging the shaft. Also use an impact gun.

aussie_cub_cadet

Forum Newbie
Threads
With things disassembled as you got it, the spindle should slide out though with it binding it may have to be driven out but hopefully if you got any movement you may be able rotate back and forth while trying to pull it out.
that's what I thought. Even putting a spanner on the axel top it's very hard to move back and forth.

aussie_cub_cadet

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’ve had to heat the casting to get some of them out without damaging the shaft. Also use an impact gun.
I will try heating the casting today. So there's no circlip or something holding it in place and the axle isnt threaded at the top is it? I couldnt see anything on the parts diagram for the front steering. I did think it would just fall out when I removed the gear cog bolt at the top. When I taped on the axel from the top, it binded up even more, and rust coloured water came out of the bottom under the axle housing. Pumped a lot of grease in there though but still, stuck.

Born2Mow

Threads
Looks like you need to be injecting a squirt of high quality chassis lube into those Zerk fittings once a month.

"Pay me now or pay me later."

aussie_cub_cadet

Forum Newbie
Threads
Cheers guys. Heated the casting up like Rivets said, and tapped the plate below the housing until it came out. Honed the bore a little as looks like it is scored from factory, but now slides in and out smoothly and turns well. thanks for your help.