Cub Cadet Engine

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would be very surprised if MTD is actually tooling up or manufacturing "thier own engines". It's more likely that they have contracted with a chinese manufacturer to build engines for them.
Not necessarily a bad thing as most of the "American Made" tractors use imported engines. It's time to understand just how far you have to go to avoid Chinese products. It's really an issue when you think about parts and parts networks. The more engines out there implies a bigger demand for parts, a bigger demand means an rising market and hopefully supplies will follow. You don't want to get caught in the void that may arise when Briggs see's the light and works out the cost issue's with the mower manufacturers and your stuck the "bastard model" with the "wang sung" engine. (I just made that name up...wang sung:laughing:).
It might be a great engine...and it might not, why take a chance?

I started this thread and I guess that the Chinese engines are low on the list from what I've been reading here,at the same time you say
You don't want to get caught in the void that may arise when Briggs see's the light and works out the cost issue's with the mower manufacturers and your stuck the "bastard model" with the "wang sung" engine
So what's the difference?

cottom

Threads
I know my Cub Cadet engine is original. I built it myself from parts of 4 donor Kohler K-series engines. Mathematically, this former K-241 10HP will not put out 23HP, but I live in a real world, so my first approximation is around 15 to 16HP.

Threads
Looking at buying a self propelled mower and I've been looking at a Cub cadet CC-94M and it has a 173cc Cub Cadet OHV engine. Apparently Cub Cadet is making there own engine and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these engines, good or bad.:anyone:

Engine is made in China. Parts are not readily available for these engines. Small parts are not available at all like recoil spring cannot be purchased at all, you have to purchase complete assy. Carburetor parts same way. If you like the MTD mower you can get similar version with Troy Bilt and a Honda engine, which is a much better choice. I am a dealer for Cub Cadet products but I have refused selling the walk behind mowers with the China engine. 2 years ago they used Honda engines

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Engine is made in China. Parts are not readily available for these engines. Small parts are not available at all like recoil spring cannot be purchased at all, you have to purchase complete assy. Carburetor parts same way. If you like the MTD mower you can get similar version with Troy Bilt and a Honda engine, which is a much better choice. I am a dealer for Cub Cadet products but I have refused selling the walk behind mowers with the China engine. 2 years ago they used Honda engines

Using a more economical priced engine is, in some cases good business... and on a low end mower it makes perfect sense..
They are good engines but may not have complete parts distribution yet...
BUT as more and more are used, the parts distributors will have that covered... even the after market parts vendors will step up with full parts availability... :smile:KennyV

jhwentworth

Threads
Using a more economical priced engine is, in some cases good business... and on a low end mower it makes perfect sense..
They are good engines but may not have complete parts distribution yet...
BUT as more and more are used, the parts distributors will have that covered... even the after market parts vendors will step up with full parts availability... :smile:KennyV

MTD does offer all the parts needed to repair these Chinese engines, but they might not be available as piece parts, but can be bought as assemblies. (buy the carb, but not the throttle plate). It happens in almost any complex manufactured product; as the selling price, and replacement cost, goes down, the replacement part level goes up. Think of the electronic industry; right now, the minimum replacement level of a TV is the complete set. These Chinese engines seem to run good, and are much cheaper than the competition. I don't see a large incentive for after-market companies to get in this market: the engines were designed, and are, throw-aways.

I think that some customers are unrealistic in their expectations for a $250 push mower; they aren't designed to last 20 years, or even 10. I'd suspect that buying a new $250 mower every 5 years might be the cheapest way to get the grass cut.

BTW: A previous post asked about the Cub Cadet CUT, which is a Yanmar tractor. The Yanmar was rebranded and sold by Deere for several years, but made the move to Cub Cadet (MTD). I looked at them a couple years ago and they were identical to the Deere with a different paint job.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
... I don't see a large incentive for after-market companies to get in this market: the engines were designed, and are, throw-aways.

I think that some customers are unrealistic in their expectations for a $250 push mower; they aren't designed to last 20 years, or even 10. I'd suspect that buying a new $250 mower every 5 years might be the cheapest way to get the grass cut.

BTW: A previous post asked about the Cub Cadet CUT, which is a Yanmar tractor. The Yanmar was rebranded and sold by Deere for several years, but made the move to Cub Cadet (MTD). I looked at them a couple years ago and they were identical to the Deere with a different paint job.

After market distributors are always going to pop up for old geezers like me that tend to never throw anything away... I have so many broken things stacked around my shop... it's getting hard finding things..:biggrin:

Heck I still think a $65 push mower from the 70's should still be cutting grass...:biggrin::biggrin:

Your observation of the Cub Cadet, Yanmar, John Deere, MTD... is true, quite a few things are the same only look different... reminds me of high school days ... "what 64 1/2 mustang is faster the blue or red one", never mind that they were identical in everything but color... :smile:KennyV

jhwentworth

Threads
After market distributors are always going to pop up for old geezers like me that tend to never throw anything away...

KennyV

I don't know if doing so would be profitable for the aftermarket folks. When you can buy a new, complete, replacement engine for $150 it puts tremendous price pressure on parts manufacturers. The service model is changing, for better or worse. I don't think we'll see the long term parts availability for low end equipment that we have had in the past. Today, we'd be disappointed if we couldn't order replacement parts for a 20-year old B&S 5hp lawnmower motor. I'd be surprised if parts were available for the Chinese stuff in 5 years. But, that's OK, a replacement engine will probably cost around $50 by then.

That said, the Chinese engine in the Cub Cadet is fully supported by MTD, but maybe not in the way you might like.

BTW: You're not an old geezer; you simply have a wealth of life experiences. Much as I do. I didn't say they were all good experiences, but they were experiences.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I didn't say they were all good experiences, but they were experiences.

Ha ha ... some were definitely experiences:laughing:....

With the inter net today it becomes much more viable for the after market manufacturer to list and distribute their own parts and pieces...
I think that will increase the availability of component availability...

Many of the things that have been considered throwaway items in this country, have been repairable in other places... with direct shipping and easy access I think there will always be the potential for the small repair shop to make a BIG come back here... :smile:KennyV