Export thread

Cub Cadet 3 stage blower

Big Jon

Big Jon

I'm thinking about trading my Toro 1028 snow blower for a new Cub 3X 30" HD blower. Can anyone tell me their thoughts on the Cub 420cc engine?

reynoldston

reynoldston

With want I seen it really didn't seem to move more snow when any other snow blower. Then I have only seen videos of them working. Doing they have one set up at your dealer that you can try?

davbell22602

davbell22602

I think I would keep the toro and maybe trade it in for bigger toro snowblower.

reynoldston

reynoldston

How about that we agree on something. I just had to happen. :thumbsup:

Parkmower

Parkmower

I agree. Pretty hard to beat a toro snow thrower.

exotion

exotion

I don't know my Honda single stage is kinda beasty

R

Rivets

I would also recommend you keep the old Toro or trade up. The 3x is build by MTD, and enough said.

P

possum

MTD made blowers are the top dogs around here. They make good blowers. I would guess 90 per cent of the snow blown off in the snow we had several days ago was done with MTD made snowblowers. The engines do not seem to be any different between the two as far as type. Both are those cheap Chinese snow engines that about everyone is using nowdays under ten different labels. They seem to work just fine. I do not see a great deal one way or the other with warranty either. The triple stage is a new product. I do not like to be the tester of new products that I have to pay for. I would let someone else do the testing. One thing I do see worth mention on the Toro is the gear box is supposed to be so strong shear bolts are not needed. That is both a bit scary and impressive. If I owned the Toro, and it worked as good as they claim, and it was not worn out I would not trade it period unless I did not like it. If you just want to try the new three stage out my guess is that you can afford it straight out if you can afford to trade. So just buy it. Then you can sell one, or both, or none. Or buy an Ariens and trade both of them in. They are supposed to be top dog of all blowers.

S

Stevie-Ray

MTD made blowers are the top dogs around here. They make good blowers.....Or buy an Ariens and trade both of them in. They are supposed to be top dog of all blowers.
Ha, I have an MTD now and it's been great since 1994. Need something bigger, so for my next, I'm looking at an Ariens Deluxe 28.:thumbsup:

briggs

briggs

stick with the toro

P

panabiker

I don't see that it does the job any better than a similarly built 2-stage. It's more of a gimmick to attract potential buyers. If that design is any good, it'll be on those big highway blowers.

Big Jon

Big Jon

OK guys, I took the advice most of you gave. I traded up for the 1128 Toro. It should be delivered yet this week.

I never did find out who makes the Cub 420cc engine. My dealer couldn't tell me and when he asked his regional sales guy, he didn't know (or wouldn't say) either. I suspect it's a Chinese built engine... That in itself put me off for the Cub. I also watched several You tube vids comparing the Cub 3 stage to Toro blowers and wasn't real impressed with the Cub.

Anyone on here with a new Toro that has the floating scraper? I hope that isn't a gimmick that comes back to bite me...

P

possum

No secret. Is a Chinese engine. MTD calls them Powermore. Folks around here call them Chinamore. MTD was one of the first to bring snow engines here with Chinese engines. No choice with the old Snowkings gone. I think this year all of the Briggs snow engines are Chinese made as well.

J

jkiremidjian

I have the same engine in my lawn mower and it's been great so far.

briggs

briggs

Power junk that what i call them ...Got one that just came in all blown up

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Power junk that what i call them ...Got one that just came in all blown up

What are the internal damages? Rod, crank, piston?

I have a Yard Works blower. It does just fine. I like it and it starts real easy. It has the Tecumseh power more engine also.

Kiss4aFrog

Kiss4aFrog

I like my Craftsman 3 stage blowers. The Cub (MTD) from the videos seems more gimmick than performance. Haven't come across any complaints but no one is bragging either. It's just a shame that the "names" like Cub, Troybilt, John Deere (depending on year) and others don't stand for the quality they once represented. Now they all seem to be the same with just minor changes and different labels and poorer quality. IMHO With careful shopping you can get a Craftsman or MTD with similar engine, bucket and options for a few hundred less than a "name" brand but have the same quality.

Attachments