Crazy Solenoid or just a black cloud over the Scag

KyGolfer

Threads
  • / Crazy Solenoid or just a black cloud over the Scag
I have a SMWC-61a Scag with a CV740s Kohler Command Pro 27 engine. Been having electrical problems since a drive belt caused a small fire. Short story- Just replaced the battery because I had to jump start. The following week, again, no start. Jumped terminals on solenoid. Starts and runs. Ordered new solenoid. Installed. No start and new solenoid very hot. Remove, and re-installed thinking I did something wrong. Again. Not start and hot. Removed, installed old one, so that I still could use the mower by jumping terminals. Turn key. Mower starts fine with no jumping of terminals. Plan on cutting grass today, but if it doesn't start, I may call a witch doctor. There has to be a realistic problem. Metered solenoid before the new one was ordered. Measured OL. Any suggestions before the witch doctor stops by? Or, just stick a large lightning rod to it and sit it out in a storm?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'd be willing to say you may have some insulation missing from wiring along drive belt route, I would give it a good looking over with plenty of room & light available. Let us know what you find, thanks, Mark