Craigs list HR215K1HXA

Chris Parman

Threads
I went to look at a HR215K1HXA (Serial# MZAM-6233527), the guy wants $300 (would only go down to $250 after I asked). I asked if he is the original owner and he said no. He claims he bought 4 years ago and only performed routine maintenance during the time he owned the lawn mower. My guess is that it is at least 23 years old. I asked if he serviced the transmission and he said yes. Then I proceeded to ask what type of fluid he used (he said Honda Hydrostatic fluid, he gets one point), then I asked if he removed the transmission, drive linkage to perform the maintenance, he said no (wrong answer and no points awarded). As I see it, it is only with $50. This guy proceeded to tell me he has two others interested, if someone pays this Clown (at the least) $250 they are suckers.

Craigs List URL -> https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/grd/d/plano-honda-hr215-hydrostatic-lawn/7059732218.html

Last edited:

trekgod3

Threads
Mower looks like it's in excellent shape based on the pics. Assuming it runs fine , I'd have no problem with 250. Probably last another 23 years.

Chris Parman

Threads
The pictures made it look good, but up close it didn't look so good. Took three pulls to start. When the blade engaged it wasn't smooth. Some blue smoke initially came out when started. At $250 I would have to invest another $300 for worn out parts. Then do a compression check on the engine. It's just not worth the initial $250.

Romore

Threads
If he can get $250 more power to him but it is sure not worth that to me. 100 bucks tops!

Chris Parman

Threads
Hey Romore, I can tell you this. My 2001 Harmony II (Convertible model) was better taken care of than this HR215K1HXA. The underneath was terrible, the Blade clutch assembly was very rusty, the springs had caked on SH&^T on them, looks like it had never had a water hose or compressed air taken to the underneath (like I always did with my Harmony II after a mowing). The transmission drive link was dirty as Hell. I recently donated my Harmony II to a Vietnam veteran and I bought a F-ed up two year old HRR216 that had a GCV160 bent blade shaft for $40. I performed a resto-mod using a Predator 173cc engine and the HRR216 deck, cut like a Mutha. By the way, is the HR215K1HXA a Commercial lawn mower (as the owner claims)?

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
HR215K1HXA
H = honda
R = rear discharge
21 = cut in inches
5 = engine (GXV 140 )
K1 = first revision
H = hydraulic drive
X = Recoil starter with blade clutch/brake
A = stars & stripes model

Commercials would look like HRC216K1HXA ( the K is some times missing )
C = COMMERCIAL
6 = GXV 160 ( or 7 = GCV 190 )

Rule of thumb is the commercials always have the bigger engines.
The only time you will find a 140 in a commercial is when it is a strait push mower.
Having said that the commercials are way too heavy so down here a lot of commercial operators buy a domestic.
If you had to lift it in & out of a trailer 20 times a day you would understand why.

He found it on the street or at the dump put fuel in it and is trying for top dollar.

Search Honda mower codes on this forum .
I am sure they have been posted several times and are very worth keeping handy
Down here the commercials are around twice the price $ 2200 - $ 1800 ( AUS ) as compared to the domestics that start at $ 850 for the plastic deck with plastic catcher.

upupandaway

Threads
I went to look at a HR215K1HXA (Serial# MZAM-6233527), the guy wants $300

Small world, I'm in the north Dallas area also... I actually have a few of HRR215's(plastic deck w and w/o blade clutch) that people leave on the curb because of issues. The big thing to worry about is that i have found several with busted drive boxes- the type that uses clutch plates and not straight 3 speed(or was that 4 speed)gear drive. DO NOT BUY THEM if this is that type.
1 thing that i find with EVERY honda is that it is an SOB to pull backwards(u have to take out the drive shaft, lube it, etc). Also check that before u buy it.

Commercial?? as much likely like a deposed king in nigeria is sending me a check.

Last edited:

tranchinh

Threads
I like the HR215 HXA more than the HRC216 HXA .
First is the weight,the HR215 with alloy deck weight 101.4 lbs whilke HRC216 with steel deck weight 121 lbs .Its 20 lbs different
Second is the power,the HR215 with GXV 140 produce 5HP at 3600 rpm and normally when come out of factory its close to 3600rpm .while the GXV 160 only produce 4.3 HP at 3600 rom and normally when come out of factory around 3200 rpm .they fixed the carburetor several years ago .you can get 5.5 HP if swap with old carburetor and sure it void warranty
and for some reason the HRC 216 is hard to steer intight spot

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With that series the Hp is controlled by the gasket between the plastic manifold & the head.
The lower Hp is just a smaller hole .
Apart from that the governor springs are different.
Down here blade clutches are not manditory and the pros avaid them like the plage because as you have mentioned those 20 lbs start to get real heavy towards the afternoon.
Generally they also remove the flywheel brake & I fit a N/O switch on the bail so they can change bags with engine running.
I can under stand making residentials idiot proof but commercials should take into account that the person behind the bars actually knows what they are doing and can recognise dangerous situations.