Export thread

Craftsman won't cut off

Ean

Ean

My LT 1000 starts with the key but when I turn the key off It won't cut off it just starts sputring and won't cut off it has the electric thing on the carb not shure what it's called

briggs

briggs

My LT 1000 starts with the key but when I turn the key off It won't cut off it just starts sputring and won't cut off it has the electric thing on the carb not shure what it's called

its called a fuel cut off switch or fuel selanoid can u post the model number under the seat and the one off the motor as well thanks

Carscw

Carscw

Will it shut off when you lift up off the seat with the brake/clutch pedal up?
Or when the blades are on?

I think what is happening is the fuel is getting shut of but not the coil.

Ean

Ean

My seat switch is bypassed I'm going to check to see if it is firing when the key is off thanks guys

jhngardner367

jhngardner367

Check the kill wire ,at the coil,to see if it's still connected.
If they come off,it will act this way.

wjjones

wjjones

Check the kill wire ,at the coil,to see if it's still connected.
If they come off,it will act this way.

Yep I have had that happen a few times.

Ean

Ean

Ok guys I turned off the key an turned it over from the cilnoid and when the key was off there was still a weak spark so what dose this mean

jhngardner367

jhngardner367

It means the switch isn't grounding the coil when it's turned off. Either the switch is bad,or there's another wire it's routing through.
More than likely,it's the switch.

Ean

Ean

The key swich is new

jhngardner367

jhngardner367

In that case check the wire from the switch terminal(M),to the coil,for shorts.

Ean

Ean

I checked the kill wire all the way to the switch and didn't see anything wrong with it

Fish

Fish

The key swich is new

Sounds like you need to start telling us what you have=model numbers.... Tell us the switch's part numbers........ Tell us how it was running before you had trouble....

Tell us what you have tried........ Is this even the right switch? How do you know? ETC....

Fish

Fish

The key swich is new

Come on now...... Start telling us the truth......

jhngardner367

jhngardner367

There are a couple of different type s of switches,and they look alike,but aren't.
One type(yours) should kill the engine by grounding the coil from terminal (M) .
The other,even though it looks the same,and has the same number of terminals,is for a battery/coil ignition,and if used in place of the other,it will cause this.

Ean

Ean

I'm telling the truth the key switch is new I replaced it a few weeks ago because off this problem Which model numbers do you need all I know right now is it is a craftsman LT 1000 42 inch cut with a 17.5 hp brigs and Stratton intek platinum with over head valves I will get the model numbers after school tomorrow :thumbsup:

EngineMan

EngineMan

Check for continuity between (M) and (G) on key switch when key switch is off, if its bad replace it.

Ean

Ean

I tried to read the model numbers off the seat but this is from the engine cover model 311707 type 0132-E3 code 000508ZE could you post a wiring diagram

T

tybilly

what about a bad solenoid? hes checked everything else,could be the plunger not opening the circuit properly,just my two cents.

jhngardner367

jhngardner367

The reason it just sputters,and won't shut off,if I'm correct,is that the key switch isn't grounded,properly.
Try this test:
Take a piece of wire,about 2ft long,and strip both ends about 1 inch.
Start the tractor,and when you shut off the key,touch one end of the wire to the switch body,and the other end to the engine mount bolt.
If it kills the engine,then the switch needs a better ground.

Ean

Ean

The reason it just sputters,and won't shut off,if I'm correct,is that the key switch isn't grounded,properly.
Try this test:
Take a piece of wire,about 2ft long,and strip both ends about 1 inch.
Start the tractor,and when you shut off the key,touch one end of the wire to the switch body,and the other end to the engine mount bolt.
If it kills the engine,then the switch needs a better ground.

I tried that today it didn't work

T

tybilly

check all your grounds again,use sandpaper,on the battery cables and frame connections,there maybe a ground arcing causing your magneto to try and stay running,or you may have bought a bad switch,if new meant good ,there would be no such thing as a warranty