Craftsman transaxle question

JoeNoble

Threads
Damn! Guess I better track down a new gasket. I think the linkage is the problem so I guess I'll tear it all apart, clean it and reassemble it but I would like to change the fluid as its probably been in there for a good 10-15 years.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Damn! Guess I better track down a new gasket. I think the linkage is the problem so I guess I'll tear it all apart, clean it and reassemble it but I would like to change the fluid as its probably been in there for a good 10-15 years.

seeing the problem comes and gos with the shift linkage lubrication I would keep working on that with some penetrating oil. Can any of this shift linkage come apart or does it go straight into the transmission?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads

RTV gray sealant is what most of the OEM's use

JoeNoble

Threads
I'm guessing black RTV will work as well right? Also what can I use to replace the valve cover gasket? I have a sheet of gasket material that says it seals gas, oil, and coolant will that work?

JoeNoble

Threads
Idk why my mower wouldn't shift.... 10-15 yr old grease isn't good for a transmission?
0b39b608.jpg

d2b6ad82.jpg

e38a3c34.jpg

I'm gonna fill it with Lucas oil stabilizer.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Love the pictures...
Post more on this thread when you get it cleaned up & going back together.
It will be a much happier transmission... :smile:KennyV

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Idk why my mower wouldn't shift.... 10-15 yr old grease isn't good for a transmission?
0b39b608.jpg

d2b6ad82.jpg

e38a3c34.jpg

I'm gonna fill it with Lucas oil stabilizer.

The grease that it calls for looks about like the stuff it is in there now, and smells even worse.

possum

Threads
And now everyone knows what lubed for life really means. Thank you for the pictures.