Export thread

Craftsman Tractor won't run

M

Mi hunter

First post for a newbie.... I have a 2007 Craftsman DLS 3500 lawn tractor that will not stay running for longer than 1 minute. In order to even get the tractor to start I have to remove the air cleaner housing and cover the air intake with my hand. This will get the mower to start but it will eventually stall after 30 seconds to a minute. I have removed the carb and cleaned it out (which was spotless) I changed the spark plug and replaced the fuel and air filter. I have also removed the gas from the tank and replaced with fresh gas. Still I cannot get this mower to run..... HELP!!!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Keith

K

KennyV

Hello Keith and WELCOME to LMF....

Just a little curious... when did this happen, did you replace and or clean things before or after you started having problems with it running?

You clearly have a fuel delivery problem, first thing I would try is remove the (new) fuel filter and replace it with a short piece of fuel line, then see if it will run... :smile:KennyV

M

Mi hunter

Thanks Kenny

No it just happened when I started to cut the lawn one afternoon, I didn't clean or even add gas to the lawn mower that is what is so odd.. I will try to bypass the fuel filter and run directly to the carb but I have pulled the line into the carb and I do have a steady flow of fuel into the carb.

Keith

reynoldston

reynoldston

It sounds like the float needle valve is sticking closed or float adjustment is way off.

K

KennyV

Keith...
If you have a steady flow of fuel to the carb...
I,m with reynoldston... the Only thing left that could restrict the fuel flow in the carb is the float or the needle valve that it operates... :smile:KennyV

M

Mi hunter

Ok thanks I did not have time yesterday to R&R the carb again but will do so in the next few days and see if that helps, where is the best place via the internet to get a rebuild kit? My card does have the main jet that is powered when the key is turned on, could this be the issue?

reynoldston

reynoldston

Ok thanks I did not have time yesterday to R&R the carb again but will do so in the next few days and see if that helps, where is the best place via the internet to get a rebuild kit? My card does have the main jet that is powered when the key is turned on, could this be the issue?

Get all numbers off the engine and try NAPA for a carburetor kit. My card does have main Jet. I am guessing you are talking about the anti dieseling solenoid, Yes you need power to this solenoid and it has to open iin order to run and this could be your problem.

Dangeroustoys56

Dangeroustoys56

I hate antifire solenoids - i have like 4 briggs motors with them and had trouble with all of them till i ' bypassed ' the solenoid by snipping the metal pin off and reinstalling them . I run manual shut off valves and have no need for the solenoids - i shut the valve off, run the carb out of gas ( so it wont drain into the motor) and park it.

The last one was a 2003 murray with a 16.5HP briggs OHV motor- thing barely ran, ran rough and refused to shut off ( dieseled) - modifed the solenoid and it became a good running machine and shut off with the key , like its supposed to.

You can try and free them up with carb cleaner or replace them at around $20( or so ) each - i did the free method.

M

Mi hunter

Ok so it looks like the Anti Dieseling Solonoid is working, I turn the key on with the solonoid in my hand and the solonoid closes, with the key off the solonoid opens to resrict fuel into the carb, this is the correct way it should work from what I can understand.
I thouroughly cleaned the carb and by bi-passed the fuel filter and still have the same problem, mower will start run for a few minutes and die, the only way to restart is to hold my hand over the air intake.
I don't understand why.... I know with the experience I have that the problem is fuel related but i have done all the steps... starting to get frustrated!!!! :confused2:

reynoldston

reynoldston

Ok so it looks like the Anti Dieseling Solonoid is working, I turn the key on with the solonoid in my hand and the solonoid closes, with the key off the solonoid opens to resrict fuel into the carb, this is the correct way it should work from what I can understand.
I thouroughly cleaned the carb and by bi-passed the fuel filter and still have the same problem, mower will start run for a few minutes and die, the only way to restart is to hold my hand over the air intake.
I don't understand why.... I know with the experience I have that the problem is fuel related but i have done all the steps... starting to get frustrated!!!! :confused2:

Just what do you mean by thoroughly cleaned? soaked in a cleaner over night? blow out all jets. I don't see where you replaced the float needle valve. This will stick closed some times with age. I also don't see where you adjusted the float level. If you have done these things I think you should just recheck things because you might of missed something. I know as for myself I have taken a carburetor apart more then once because I missed something. What about the gas line and tank are you getting a good flow gas to the carburetor inlet? As far as fuel goes there isn't much more. Fuel filters are cheap don't bypass it replace it.

M

Mi hunter

I have not replace the needle valve and my "thorough" clean only included carb cleaner and and a air gun. I will go home tonight and check the float again and clean the carb overnight. I did replace and by-pass the fuel filter but I will buy another today while I am at the store. More to come....

Thanks again for the replies!!

Carscw

Carscw

Did you reuse the gasket or replace with a new one. Is it torn? You could be getting to much air if a gasket is bad. I would get a carb kit and replace every thing. Make sure your float is good No pin holes or cracks

M

Mi hunter

I re-used all gaskets i did not see anywhere it was torn but will do a thorough check tonight along with a good visual of the float, where is the best place to buy a carb kit for a Craftsman? I have tried Sears and that didn't work out so well....

Carscw

Carscw

Most mower shops will have one. I get mine from napa. Napa won't cost as much as a mower shop I just got a starter was $30 less at napa then at any shop I called

K

KennyV

The "bypass" the filter was suggested , only as a temporary test, to evaluate the fuel flow with zero restriction...
I agree with reynoldston, a careful cleaning with particular attention to the float Needle Valve is indicated...
If the float itself had a ole or crack, it would sink and Not shut off the fuel, so this will not be your problem... as you are Not delivering adequate fuel without using total engine vacuum to pull fuel into the intake...

The gasket between the engine and carb must be in good shape & have no leaks for proper function of the carb...
Keep looking, the hardest to find contributors to a problem usually turn out to be a very simple & easy to overlook fault... :smile:KennyV

M

Mi hunter

Success!!!!!!! Not sure what it was but I took the carb apart again cleaned the entire thing and verified the float was good and not cracked. I started it up and it ran perfect!!! I cut part of the lawn and will finish it over the next 3-4 days as we are expecting rain here the next few days. I will give an update when it runs for an hour or so....:biggrin:

Thanks Kenny for reminding me to keep it simple.... And thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

M

Mi hunter

Tractor runs like new.... Thanks again everyone!!!