Export thread

Craftsman tractor with Briggs 12.5hp blows oiland fuel out of the crank case breather

S

stangnutlx1

Looking for a little tech support on this issue. Tractor was given to me, I got 1 mow out of it and time I cranked it. It started right up and ran great for 2 minutes then started loading up and stalled

Pulled airbox off of it and refired it, ran great and then I noticed it was blowing oil and fuel out of the breather tube. Can any of you fine people give me some insite on what the possible fault could be ?

model 286707 0441 01

B

bertsmobile1

Either you have fuel in the oil due to the float not cutting the fuel off
or
A blown head gasket.

Check for the latter by running the engine for a few minutes , switch off then remove the dip stick.
You get smoke signals , they say head gasket leaking into pushrod tube.

S

stangnutlx1

I replaced the carb about 2 weeks ago for poor running condition. this was before I noticed the fuel/oil out of the breather tube.

S

stangnutlx1

oil is right at the add line

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Either you have fuel in the oil due to the float not cutting the fuel off
or
A blown head gasket.

Check for the latter by running the engine for a few minutes , switch off then remove the dip stick.
You get smoke signals , they say head gasket leaking into pushrod tube.

Hey there Bert .........Just letting you know .. This is his 2nd thread on this issue..... BTW he has the L head engine.

He said today he will check compression, But he don't have a leakdown tester.... Acr will give him a false reading of course, but a very low reading will say a head gasket and/or a valve relap like I told him in the other thread...

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

M

Mikel1

Hi bertsmobile1, how are you doing? Haven't been around lately but where is Cars, Robert and Ric at? I see the rest of the guys.

BlazNT

BlazNT

Cars retired from everything and Ric is still here in the moderator fashion mostly. Robert, I have no idea.

S

stangnutlx1

compression ratio is at 70psi, did the test 3 times.

B

bertsmobile1

Hi bertsmobile1, how are you doing? Haven't been around lately but where is Cars, Robert and Ric at? I see the rest of the guys.

Ric has not posted since last years hurricane season so I had assumed either he took a hit or has just been too busy.
Robert still posts on the "my mower " but has not been on here at all for a long time.
So you are stuck with the likes of me well for the next 4 years at least

M

Mikel1

Thanks for the info, Bert & BlazNT.

upupandaway

upupandaway

stangnutlx1 - Yours sounds like the 12.5s I have. Take off the plate to the valve springs and check the gap of the intake valve. If no gap, file down the valve to produce the correct gap.

I got 4 of these back in the late 90/00's. All i got used that the owner tossed so they were sitting around for a while. Weird, but all the valve would stretch after my first cutting. Then on the second cut, producing these symptoms- spitting gas back to the air filter after running for about 30 seconds to start warming up. I filed down the proper gap and they run fine since. This would also explain the low compression - valve not closing.

Boudreaux In Eunice- this is where i came up with the crazy idea of using paper to confirm it was blowing back before taking them apart.