Craftsman Tractor Starting Issue

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Starter spins but the bendix does not pop up and engage.
You answered your own question.

Your voltage checks look good but actually you are NOT cranking the engine over due to the Bendix not engaging. So you need to fix the Bendix/starter issue first before you do more electrical CSI checks.

lefty2cox

Threads
This may sound stupid but make sure that you didn't connect the battery backwards. It will cause the starter to spin in reverse if it doesn't cause other electrical failures.
I just want to emphasize that I did not install this battery... but am ashamed to admit that I did lay eyes on it. I was able to stop by and take another look at this today and wouldn't you know it? I took my frustration for not noticing it out on my friend for installing it backward. I recon he deserves it more.

Thanks for the help.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Not good.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just want to emphasize that I did not install this battery... but am ashamed to admit that I did lay eyes on it. I was able to stop by and take another look at this today and wouldn't you know it? I took my frustration for not noticing it out on my friend for installing it backward. I recon he deserves it more.

Thanks for the help.
Glad to of helped. And hopefully the reverse connected battery didn't do other electric damage. Sometimes it can damage the voltage regulator as well as destroy the ignition modules.

cdestuck

Threads

Thanks for the help.
I just took a mower in for repair that the owner had just put in a new battery. Exact problem. Easy fix.

LMPPLUS

Threads
Model: 917.271760 Serial: 091302D007110
Briggs Model: 31R977-0043-G1 / 160218ZA

Starter spins but the bendix does not pop up and engage. If I spin the bendix by hand everything seems to function properly and move freely. I have 12.8V at the battery, which is new. Voltage drops to 11.8v at the starter when turning over. Wire from bat positive to solenoid shows less than 1 ohm resistance. Same on wire from solenoid to starter. Same for bat negative to the engine. All connections are tight. It spins but just won't engage. I'm thinking I have a bad starter. Am I missing anything? Is 1 volt drop normal at the starter. Is 11.8v enough to get the starter to engage the flywheel? All questions bouncing around my head right now. Any advice / help is appreciated.

Thank you.
lefty2cox, This B&S engine is xtremley hard to start if the valves are out of adjustment or if the camshaft is bad, take the spark plug out and try it if it turns over good reset the valves if it doesn't electrical issue and has the battery recently been changed, it's a DC motor so it will spin both ways so if it's hooked up wrong the starter gear will spin down.

lefty2cox

Threads
Glad to of helped. And hopefully the reverse connected battery didn't do other electric damage. Sometimes it can damage the voltage regulator as well as destroy the ignition modules.
I'll keep an eye on that. Thanks. If I remember correctly, I don't think this one had a regulator. But I'll keep an eye on the ignition.

lefty2cox

Threads
I'm sure there is a diode though. Is there a chance sending current the wrong way could have fried the diode?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'll keep an eye on that. Thanks. If I remember correctly, I don't think this one had a regulator. But I'll keep an eye on the ignition.
I'm sure there is a diode though. Is there a chance sending current the wrong way could have fried the diode?
Since it started and ran after correcting the battery issue then the ignition is most likely fine. And if it is charging the battery and not discharging it while it sets unused then that diode should also be fine.