Craftsman Tractor Spindle Pullies

lefty2cox

Threads
Craftsman: 917.289700

This came to me because the owner bent a spindle/mandrel. When I got into it, I noticed that the teeth were gone on both pullies. So I ordered a couple of those. The spindle I was replacing was original but the other had been replaced some time ago. I noticed on the one he replaced, rather than having a spacer washer between the pulley and the spindle/mandrel, it appears as either the inner race of the bearing is extended or the inner race has wandered. I can't figure out which. The spindle itself is smooth as silk. Seems in perfect condition. It just doesn't match the other. The other has a regular sealed bearing and then a spacer/washer goes on, and then the pulley. Is this a thing? Do some of these have an oversized inner race to act as a spacer? I lightly tapped the inner race and it didn't budge. I don't want to hit it that hard in case it's like that by design. Just trying to figure out if this is a design preference or if I have a failing part.

Spindle/Mandrel is #14 here.

Thank you

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I have seen those bearing before but the numbers were gone. Anyway they were expensive and were replaced with regular 6203-2RS bearings and the spacer. If the bearing needs replacing just change out and add the spacer.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is the new style OEM spindle assembly. If you order a new spindle assembly there is a notice in the box talking about not needing the spacer with the new spindle/bearing setup

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Okay then I need the bearing number so I see if I can them in aftermarket. Kinda a dumb idea but OEM is banking on us buying the bearing only from them.

lefty2cox

Threads
Ok so with the raised bearing I don't need the spacer? I may be getting too "space shuttle" on this but I was on a level floor and ran a level across the deck. It was level so I laid a level across the pulleys and it looked like it needed both the spacer and the oversized bearing to align. Am I overthinking this? I probably am. With the spacer and extened bearing on the left I'm in line but I'm riding a little high on the other pulley. Sorry to complicate things, but on the other side, the pulley was different too. One pulley had an extension on it and the other didn't. I think what's throwing me off is the fact that the owner replaced one on his own. No telling if it was done correctly. But it is possible that this thing welded itself on there now that I look at it. I tried to hammer it off but she wasn't budging. Does that look like it's stuck on there or that it's part of the pulley?

Pulley 1.jpgPulley 2.jpg

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The spacer is stuck/welded itself to the pulley.

Cusser

Threads
I've purchased new spindle assemblies for my LT1000, not expensive and hen don't have to deal with separate mandrels. Sometimes I've pounded out mandrels to fit used ones in, but I stock replacements purchased online as I'm away from a big city...