Craftsman T2600 Surge and Die

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It appears this MTD mower used the Briggs 31/33 CI engine and the ACR can fail at anytime. I have nearly new engines with them broke and also seen over 10 yr old engine that never have a problem with the ACR.

I do agree that is sounds like the OP has multiple problems and the camshaft is just one of them.

Joe999

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have been waiting for 2 months for the part, no one in this world has it. BS has no idea when it will be available.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
might call parts tree and see if they have it, most of the time when they show "usually ships in 1 business day" that means they have it in stock

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
I thought at the last service School I went to they said they had fixed the compression release problem with the cam. Poor design. Crummy engine head gasket and cam problem. Best single cylinder engine ever built was the Kohler Single cylinder Command Pro. and they replaced it with the single cylinder Scourage.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I thought at the last service School I went to they said they had fixed the compression release problem with the cam. Poor design. Crummy engine head gasket and cam problem. Best single cylinder engine ever built was the Kohler Single cylinder Command Pro. and they replaced it with the single cylinder Scourage.
i know they changed the part number to 84005207, Star said the only change he noted was the kit doesn't come with tappets. the decompressor is still the same (flawed) design... I think he put a post up here awhile back explaining what he thinks the cause of failures are, and it seems highly likely.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The 84005207 camshaft has been available at the Briggs distribution system for over a month now. Have heard of a couple dealers getting their backordered camshafts removed from the order system when they did the software updates. So may need to check with you local dealers and see what is going on. They may need to reorder to get them. I had two on back order several months ago and received them back in early November.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Maybe I helped them to get them in stock after six months as I stop ordering Briggs parts for restock the first of June when my Briggs distributor started constantly complaining of being over worked along with very delays in getting me the parts. They were still complaining in November newsletter. My Briggs inventory went from $45,000 [retail] down to the current $16,000 [retail]. I only purchased $350 [cost] in additional Briggs parts from secondary vendors since the 1st of June.

I gave up on getting the camshafts from Briggs so I brought and install Chinese after market ones in late October. Then as IL stated Briggs got them in Mid November three weeks after I got the last engine out.

I hopefully I will restart ordering Briggs parts in January 2022 from my Briggs distributor when my imposed no purchase order expires, but I may wait until April 2022 to see what in the Briggs line shows up for repairs. I got one other distributor on a no purchase order that expires the end February 2022. That second distributor has only lost around $3,000 in sales since August but their competitor pickup those sales. Just added an extra day to the delivery times. This year purchases would had exceeded 2019 purchases if they didn't start charging a 1.5% convenience fee for credit card use. They said I could switch to ACH payments but they refused to switch my business over. I spent two months trying to get it done. That was in July-August. The second distributor switch over to the same fee in October but they switch my business over as soon as I called them. I just got to keep more money in the local bank account now as I pay upon receipt of parts even though they got me on a NET 25 plan. I just prefer to operate on a cash accounting plan. At least I know my bills are paid on time.

Overall not a bad year as I recovered from the 2020 turn down in business and am currently just $500 under 2019 gross sales. It basically comes down that I had more income this year and the distributors lost income.;)

Joe999

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sears said I need PN 597221. I cant get this part anywhere