Fuel Craftsman model 917.2736403 won't pump gas to carb

pastorbud

Threads
I just picked up a used Craftsman model 917.2736403, 18.5 HP B&S. The guy who bought it for me said it ran strong at the seller's house. So, anyway, we knew it had fuel line leak.

I've replaced the whole fuel line and filter, and it still won't draw gas into the filter. It ran with starting fluid or carb cleaner sprayed into the intake, but then would die without picking up the fuel.

I replaced the fuel pump. Same result. (OK, now I'm mad! :mad:)

I replaced the surge line (hose to fitting on the oil filler tube). Same result.

I opened the carb and checked the float. Float bowl was dry, but float went up and down and needle valve moved. I sprayed it out with carb cleaner. Same result.

I tested the solenoid on the bottom of the float bowl. Tested good. Problem endures.

I put a hand-operated suction gun on the fuel line and used it to draw gas up into the filter. Problem endures.

So.... what gives?

pastorbud

Threads
Duh :ashamed:... got it fixed. I had the fuel input line and the pulse line reversed. Fuel line was off when I got it, so I got it confused. If you look closely, pulse line fitting has little "P" on it. Fuel input has a triangle indicating flow direction.

Jamilee

Forum Newbie
Threads
What is the selinoid at the bottom of the float Bowl my mower won't start either it only revs up if I pour gas into the air horn. I have the same mower/tractor.

pastorbud

Threads
What is the selinoid at the bottom of the float Bowl my mower won't start either it only revs up if I pour gas into the air horn. I have the same mower/tractor.

The solenoid shuts off the fuel flow to the carb when you turn the engine off. You could test for power at the connector into the solenoid. If you're getting power in but the solenoid isn't opening, I'd clean it up with carb cleaner (works better than brake cleaner for me on that kinda gunk), spray it with WD 40 and test again. If it still doesn't open, prob'ly time to replace.