Craftsman Hydro problem

ddzamba

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 26 HP, 54" cut Craftsman riding mower. When I step on the accelerator all the way the mower wont go, or goes very slow. When I let up from the fully depressed position then it will go faster, but still not as fast as it should. I think top speed for my mower is supposed to be 6mph, but it only goes about 4 in the semi depressed position. Reverse works fine.. I tried to do the "purge" thing I found in the manual that came with it just to see if that was the problem. It didn't fix the problem. Belts seem ok.. Mower is about 4 years old, and this started last season. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciate as the difference between 4 and 6 mph is about 45 minutes for my yard :p Side note: My yard is on a major hill so I'm sure that doesn't help the inner workings of the mower. Thanks in advance :)

jsm0960

Threads
I have a 26 HP, 54" cut Craftsman riding mower. When I step on the accelerator all the way the mower wont go, or goes very slow. When I let up from the fully depressed position then it will go faster, but still not as fast as it should. I think top speed for my mower is supposed to be 6mph, but it only goes about 4 in the semi depressed position. Reverse works fine.. I tried to do the "purge" thing I found in the manual that came with it just to see if that was the problem. It didn't fix the problem. Belts seem ok.. Mower is about 4 years old, and this started last season. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciate as the difference between 4 and 6 mph is about 45 minutes for my yard :p Side note: My yard is on a major hill so I'm sure that doesn't help the inner workings of the mower. Thanks in advance :)

Hate to say it but it sounds like the hydro is going in your mower. Hills make them wear out earlier than normal.

ddzamba

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I changed the belt like you said ( luckily I always keep 1 extra of each belt around) and figured while I have the deck off I might as well change that belt too. The deck belt was easy, the drive belt...not so much.... but anyway it's done and it seems to have done the trick, at least for now. I'm back up to top speed. I appreciate the help :)