Export thread

craftsman gcv 160,no spark

C

coolsplinter70

I have inherited a craftsman gcv with a honda gvc 160 engine, looks in very good condition, but not getting a spark, I have replaced the spark plug, a new coil set at correct gauge, new limit switch , cleaned the carb etc , drained old fuel out flushed with new, and filled up with new fuel, same with the oil ,compression seems okay, but still not getting a spark of any sort, now stuck regards peter.

Russ2251

Russ2251

How are you checking for spark?

C

coolsplinter70

How are you checking for spark?
checked in a completly blacked out garage its pitch black removed plug left it attached to ignition cable and turned mower over - no spark of any sort visible, the flywheel has plenty of magnetism,

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

The spark plug has to be grounded. for it to spark. Tape it where it is touching a metal piece on the engine , then try it.if you can't get a inline spark tester.

C

coolsplinter70

The spark plug has to be grounded. for it to spark. Tape it where it is touching a metal piece on the engine , then try it.if you can't get a inline spark tester.
Thank you I will try that, regards peter

C

coolsplinter70

Thank you I will try that, regards peter
tried that taped plug to engine metal to metal still no spark

R

Romore

Did you disconnect the switch?

C

coolsplinter70

At first did not disconnect the switch, then tried it disconnected worked okay put everything back started ok and mowed, thank you guys for your help, sincerely appreciate every ones help regards peter

D

Don D.

At first did not disconnect the switch, then tried it disconnected worked okay put everything back started ok and mowed, thank you guys for your help, sincerely appreciate every ones help regards peter

Why would disconnecting the switch enable/cause the mower to crank?