craftsman G5500 mower wont start, please help

rosson

Forum Newbie
Threads
trying to figure out how to get this mower running for my father, I believe its a model 917.20403 24HP and 54' DECK, SERIAL NUMBER MFG DATE IS 06/17/14, I have a video of the light sequence on the ignition switch but was too large to upload, please email me or text and I can send video, rossonshane@gmail.com or text to 760-822-3469, battery is charged, has min 12.5 volts, the PTO/ clutch switch is in the disengaged position , and I checked to make sure that the switch was working by pulling it off and checking continuity in in and out positions and it is working correctly. Also reset ignition switch and still did not start, also had new attachment clutch in box, so I disconnected the clutch on mower and plugged new one in to see if it would start and it did not, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks Shane

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
First guess is dirty carb and old fuel from last year. Next is spark. Clean the carb and check for spark.

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Won't start ?
turns over but does not fire
Does not turn over ?
Turns over lumpy and does not fire
Make a click or a loud klunk then nothing
makes no sound at all ?

Please describe everything that you see hear feel & smell from the time your bum hits the seat in the order they happen.
Personally I usually replace those Smart Start switches to take a standard key switch because they seem to cause far more problems than they solve.

rosson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Won't start ?
turns over but does not fire
Does not turn over ?
Turns over lumpy and does not fire
Make a click or a loud klunk then nothing
makes no sound at all ?

Please describe everything that you see hear feel & smell from the time your bum hits the seat in the order they happen.
Personally I usually replace those Smart Start switches to take a standard key switch because they seem to cause far more problems than they solve.
Thank you very much for the reply, it makes absolutely no sound whatsoever, sit on the seat, set the break, turn the switch on, and nothing happens no sounds, it will not allow power through to even turn over the motor, I know the starters OK because I jumped the starter cylinoid to turn the motor over, But no spark to make engine fire, I’m guessing there’s some thing within the key switch that tells the ignition system to activate to let spark through,but don’t know where to go from here. If you have a part number for the switch that would replace that I will order one, or if you know which color wires to jump to get it started, that would be a great help, because that would confirm that it is the switch ,please advise, thanks Shane

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This system is quite complicated and designed to be tamper proof as if any switch fails the whole system shuts down
There are no aftermarket replacement switches and your best bet is to take it to a Husqvarna dealer ( they made it ) and have them do a diagnostic ( plug in test )
I do rewire these mowers for my customers and it is not cheap, but cheaper than replacing the idiot switch .
I can not tell you how to do this .
IF you can figure it out from the wiring diagram then you should not do it and the instant I do then Husqvarna will change it again.
That Face book fools & Californian public liability lawyers for this suituation

The seat switch & parking brake switch must be set & in working order before the smart switch will energise the carb & starter solenoid and disconnect the magneto kill wires
Unfortunately you can back check the parking brake switch or even jumper it but not the seat switch.
The only way to test it is sticking pins through the wires and using those for your meter connections as there is a grounding switch in the seat switch plug preventing its disconnection when using the mower.
Thank the same morons again for this.

Wiring diagram is in the parts book from craftsman & downloadeable by right clicking the image then saving the page .