Export thread

Craftsman 917 276180 w/ kohler comander 25 hp SV600smdl clutch/brake adjustment

Z

zgbarry

Please help with "Big Green" snow plow with a 42" blade. We did not have as much snow as usual this winter (drought here in Colorado) but the few times I used my tractor when the clutch pedal is depressed all the way it still moves forward! I have not found on line PDF for this model. How do I adust the cluch/brake so I don't run in to my garage any more?tractor.jpg

StarTech

StarTech

917.276280 ipl

Question. Is the mower moving while the shift lever is in neutral without clutch depressed? As this not a clutching/brake but is the transaxle out of adjustment.

Also if you recently changed drive belts it might be too short for the clutch to disengage and mower is pulling through the braking.

Z

zgbarry

Yes, I have to drop the blade to keep it from crawling forward. I have replaced the belt, how much free play in the belt when in neutral?
Thanks for your help, have all summer to get this right
barry

Z

zgbarry

How do you adjust the trans axle?

StarTech

StarTech

You need first find which transaxle you have. The best I can from the IPL is that is it a Hydro Gear. Once you which model you then someone can link the appropriate service manual.

Z

zgbarry

I found the label it is a Hydro-Gear JE3073 ser# 804411067, not sure the numbers are correct they were hard to read
Again thanks for your help
Barry

H

HughDaHand

You seem to have posted the wrong model number, or sears is giving use the wrong one for that number because it doesn't match the pic at all.
There is no adjustment for the clutch on those. If it is still running the trans with the clutch pushed the only thing I can think would be a belt that is to short or improperly routed.

If you need to adjust the neutral position on the lever it can be done where the linkage meets the trans on the top.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Depress the pedal and engage the parking brake to lock the pedal. Get under the tractor and check to see if the belt is slack around the engine pulley. If it is not most likely the wrong belt or routed wrong. Depressing the pedal slacks the belt so it is not driven by the engine pulley. The craftsman tractors i have worked on don't have an adjustment for the belt. You need the exact length OEM belt

I

ILENGINE

You seem to have posted the wrong model number, or sears is giving use the wrong one for that number because it doesn't match the pic at all.
There is no adjustment for the clutch on those. If it is still running the trans with the clutch pushed the only thing I can think would be a belt that is to short or improperly routed.

If you need to adjust the neutral position on the lever it can be done where the linkage meets the trans on the top.
The number posted by both the OP and Star don't match that mower. I think there is an issue with the drive belt being incorrect in combination with either the direction linkage out of adjustment or more common is the speed selector on the fender has been bent due to contact with a tree throwing off the position when in neutral.

Z

zgbarry

Very possible, I bought from the son of a old man (that passed away) that fixed lawn tractors, parts could be from other tractors. It had the big tires, wheel weights and chains I needed for the snow plow. The craftsman number is on the back on the rear fender.

StarTech

StarTech

The number posted by both the OP and Star don't match that mower. I think there is an issue with the drive belt being incorrect in combination with either the direction linkage out of adjustment or more common is the speed selector on the fender has been bent due to contact with a tree throwing off the position when in neutral.
First all I did was change the layout of the OP given number.

Very possible things don't match up. DYIers are always screwing things up by mismatching parts. Plus a lot of the OEMs seems to be posting bad info lately or simply don't have the info on their product so they just throw something to please someone. This like changing engine shrouds and not transferring the current info or losing tags.

Well that don't work either. It like the Kawasaki FB460V-CS07 that Kawasaki has no info on other than a sales flyer, IPL wise. I finally manage to piece together enough info from various specs to get the carburetor rebuilt and a new intake valve. I got lucky as the exhaust was savable as it is NLA. Kawasaki suggested using FS07 spec which superseded the CS07 but the parts don't match. Wrong needle valve and breather cover gasket. Boy that is a big engine to hand crank.

StarTech

StarTech

I found the label it is a Hydro-Gear JE3073 ser# 804411067, not sure the numbers are correct they were hard to read
Again thanks for your help
Barry
Can you post an image of the label from the transaxle as those the numbers post don't seem right at all.

Z

zgbarry

Again thanks for your help. The belt I am using is a 4L830, there were no numbers on original belt, so trial & error. I can see if it is to tight it can cause the tractor to creep in neutral. I have attached pic of the trans axle, it also shows that the parts to dis-engage the trany are missing, ie no free wheeling. I have not solved that yet. Also the "Park" lever is broken where it comes thu the dash, I have welded a washer on it and it works most of the time. To date I have replaced the Carb, fuel pump and trany fluid & filter (carquest 84035 filter & 20-50 oil). It would be nice if I could find a owners manual for this model! PhotoScan.jpg

StarTech

StarTech

Hydro Gear 150078 (218-3010L)

210-3010L series service manual

Attachments

• 218-3010L IPL.pdf
    241.7 KB · Views: 4

Z

zgbarry

thanks Star Tech

H

HughDaHand

The belt you want is part # 532140218 (1/2" x 84.5")