Export thread

Craftsman 37299 21" 132cc Push Mower won't start.

D

donnieu

Craftsman 37299 21" 132cc Push Mower won't start. I’ve only mowed the lawn 3 times. I bought a larger plastic gas can, so would guess some gas might have gone stale I’ve drained the gas, changed oil, changed spark plug. No luck. Oil was dirty. Sprayed starting fluid in carb. No luck. Will start for a few seconds then dies. Gas drains out of the carb ok, so fuel is flowing. Fuel filter looks ok. Screw at bottom of carb does not have holes. There is a hole in each side of a cylinder inside carb. Float moves ok. Any ideas? I see Sears warranty does not cover situation with stale gas. Have had several problems with this mower. I think they gave me a returned item instead of a new one. Should have returned it, but now it is past 30 days. Any chance they will give me warranty service on this issue?

D

donnieu

Also the primer doesn't seem to feel right. Just seem to be pushing air continually.

I

ILENGINE

Would help us if we had the full model number of the mower as well and the brand and model number of the engine. The mower model number should start with a three digit number like 917 or 358

D

donnieu

It is the current year model. Just bought it. MTD 132cc OHV vertical shaft engine (that is all it says in engine manual). Manual gives six different model numbers of the 21" mower. First one listed is 247.37299*.
https://www.sears.com/craftsman-11a...SellerId=Sears&prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=G5

Barcode scanner gives 1P1R61RU/ S1711111A1114 ZZONGSHEN

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Don......... What item are you talking about that you think is a returned item ????

Yes you should have holes in the bowl nut.... Those holes need to be cleaned out...... They are stopped up so you cant see them ..... The gas passes thru those holes then up into that cylinder you spoke of.... Thats an emuslion tube....

How old is the mower ???

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

D

donnieu

It is 2 months old. Just bought it. There are no holes in the lower bolt nut ( i have examined it 3 times).
There is one hole on each side of the carb metal cylinder.
I meant to say floor display item, not a returned item. When loaded in my car, it was
in a box for a different mower. Blade had been installed poorly. Pull start had
been installed in the wrong direction. After putting pull start in right position, the
cord broke 2nd time I used the mower. Motor ran too fast the 2 times it was working.
Obviously a floor display item, which their 800 number said they were not supposed to sell.

I

ILENGINE

You have the MTD engine on your mower. Sounds like the mower was a demo unit that has had fuel setting in it, and the throttle butterfly is sticky as well as stale fuel deposits in the carb. sounds like time to pull the carb, and give it a good cleaning. Unless there is a manufacturer defect with the carb they won't touch it under warranty. And as an authorized service center for the craftsman products made by MTD, there is a bunch of paperwork that goes with trying to warranty a carb issue. Getting carb warranty covered is close to impossible with any brand of engine, Some of them are really difficult including having the factory authorization before the repair is done.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Wow 2 months old and it wasn't supposed to be sold .......... That's cause for a replacement mower ....

IL Engine is correct on his post.......

I would call again and politely talk to someone higher up for a new mower and explain that .......... Most phone calls are recorded for quality assurance.... If you can find the date on that phone call then you might be in good shape..... If you are using a smart phone and remember the number then you can look at the call details ....

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

A

(Account Closed)

It is 2 months old. Just bought it. There are no holes in the lower bolt nut ( i have examined it 3 times).
There is one hole on each side of the carb metal cylinder.
I meant to say floor display item, not a returned item. When loaded in my car, it was
in a box for a different mower. Blade had been installed poorly. Pull start had
been installed in the wrong direction.
After putting pull start in right position, the
cord broke 2nd time I used the mower. Motor ran too fast the 2 times it was working.
Obviously a floor display item, which their 800 number said they were not supposed to sell.

Between the above and the DIRTY OIL, that machines been run a bunch (more than you have).

Being in a different box indicates someone returned it and obviously "dinked" with it a BUNCH.

***It would be best to return to the store and speak with the manager directly, WITH the mower.**

Be nice to start with, if you get nowhere, ask for a supervisor, then his(if needed), IE, be a PIA eventually if need be.

Per the 800 #, ask the manager why it was even sold. It sounds like someone returned a different mower than was originally sold (and no one checked to see if it was indeed the correct mower..

If it's still under warranty (states on-line-2 year limited warranty), bring it to the shop and let them fix the carb (clogged with varnish), governor/linkages.

Also, on the web site, the mower comes with oil, owners manual etc-Oil is NOT IN the engine. Yours, being dirty sounds like it was already in the engine. They sold you a USED MOWER, NOT a new one as I suspect you thought you were getting..

[/B]If the store will not make it right and you paid by credit card / Pay Pal, dispute the charge

Can you post a close up pic of the carb with the air filter off?

Lastly, the carb bolt in question, is the one holding the bowl onto the carb body. Is that the one you pulled put?
It should have a larger hole thru the side and a smaller one vertically reaching into the larger hole.. This allows fuel to be sucked up from the bowl into the venturi (sp?).

That engine does NOT appear a Briggs but a Chinese engine(as posted). Parts, like Harbor Freight Chinese engines are really hard if not impossible to find... IMO, find something with a Briggs engine on it

B

bertsmobile1

What you have is a Zongshen engine made in China.
It should be a Honda ( chonda) knock off.
There is no service information available for it apart from what MTD cares to tell their authorised service dealers during training sessions.
Times are tough for every mass manufacturer in the USA and most will be Chinese Owned or bankrupt in the not too distant future.
Zongshen have been sued several times by Honda over trade mark violations .
Zongshen make poor copies of both the CV and GXV series Honda engines which you can buy for as little as $ 10 ( US ) if you order in quantities of 10,000 +
If you care to take some photos so we can identify what you have then we can give you some good information as to how to get it running.
Otherwise we are just speculating.

Not sure how consumer advocacy works in the USA.
If it was down here , where we have mandatory 12 months min warranty, I would have gone strait to the government consummer affairs & lodged a claim.

D

donnieu

Also the primer doesn't seem to feel right. Just seem to be pushing air continually.
I took the air filter and gas tank pieces off to take a couple of pictures. As I had mentioned, the primer felt strange.
Felt like pushing air because it was just pushing air. The little hose was totally disconnected. After priming about 20
pushes, I got it to start up. Still seems to run a little fast. Guess I will have to adjust even though 800 number said
no need to adjust. Sorry to bother with this simple thing.

One more question, the fuel filter seems to stick up in the air in the gas tank, and when it quits there is still about
one inch of gas left. Should I try to bend it down some more toward bottom of tank?

One other issue with this mower is that it is very difficult to center the blade. Blade just lays over the bolt hole
and can easily move while tightening the bolt.

I

ILENGINE

Looks like fuel filter is removable if you take the fuel line off of the tank fitting. Also the blade mount should have a bowtie shape with a short locating pin on each end of the blade mount that should fit the corresponding holes in the blade. Starting to sound like there is more issues with this mower than just a fuel issue.

A

(Account Closed)

Looks like fuel filter is removable if you take the fuel line off of the tank fitting. Also the blade mount should have a bowtie shape with a short locating pin on each end of the blade mount that should fit the corresponding holes in the blade. Starting to sound like there is more issues with this mower than just a fuel issue.

That machine is NOT a new machine, everything posted about it indicates it's a returned unit that's been seriously dinked with..

As stated earlier, I would bring it back and / or dispute the charge.

If that's the engine (what I posted), I would NOT want it.

That "star" aligning item, just missing, is a major safety issue...

I

ILENGINE

That machine is NOT a new machine, everything posted about it indicates it's a returned unit that's been seriously dinked with..

As stated earlier, I would bring it back and / or dispute the charge.

If that's the engine (what I posted), I would NOT want it.

That "star" aligning item, just missing, is a major safety issue...

MTD claims their engine failure rate is .5% which is half of the normal failure rate of most small engine manufacturers. MTD dealers don't see a lot of failures of MTD engines. Now the engine on the mower in question has been run hard and put away after being destroyed by a prior sale customer. If the blade mount is damaged I would also be taking a hard look at the flywheel key also. Could cause lose of power and hard starting. Customer needs to just return the mower to the store, since it was sold under false pretenses,

A

(Account Closed)

MTD claims their engine failure rate is .5% which is half of the normal failure rate of most small engine manufacturers. MTD dealers don't see a lot of failures of MTD engines. ,

This is the first MDT mower I've seen with a Chinese engine.

Most (IME), are B & S', the smaller engines with the plastic carbs (very easy to clean-much easier than the aluminum ones, really not much to varnish up). That alone may be part of their claim.

So, yes, they can claim the above. If you read the REVIEWS on that mower, their TERRIBLE.

But agreed, that mower needs to go back..

I

ILENGINE

This is the first MDT mower I've seen with a Chinese engine.

Most (IME), are B & S', the smaller engines with the plastic carbs (very easy to clean-much easier than the aluminum ones, really not much to varnish up). That alone may be part of their claim.

So, yes, they can claim the above. If you read the REVIEWS on that mower, their TERRIBLE.

But agreed, that mower needs to go back..

MTD started using their own engines after Briggs purchased Murray. The first push mowers I saw were on the shelf at Walmart in 2010 or 2011. The first engine used on the push mowers had a manual pull type choke cable on the handle. Since then they have expanded their use of their engines to the Troybilt mowers and tillers, Cub Cadet tillers, mowers and riders, including the use of EFI for the past 3 years on select Cub Cadet and Troybilt mowers. The year or 2 after Briggs purchased Murray, MTD didn't use a single Briggs engine on any of the equipment. They used their own MTD engine manufactured in China, Kohler, Honda, Kawasaki, and Tecumseh.

I personally don't see a lot of the MTD chinese engines in my shop. But the use of the push mower engine slowed down after MTD started producing the Murray for Walmart mowers and my agreement are required to use Briggs engines on Murray mowers.

Looks like most the poor reviews on the sears site list won't start or hard to start. Briggs changed over to the overhead valve engine for a lot of push mowers in 2015 and 100% of the failures I have seen on that engine have been fuel quality issues. When one comes into the shop that won't start or hard to start, the first thing is the fuel gets dumped. So that problem isn't limited to the MTD chinese engine.

D

donnieu

Also the blade mount should have a bowtie shape with a short locating pin on each end of the blade mount that should fit the corresponding holes in the blade. Starting to sound like there is more issues with this mower than just a fuel issue.
See 2 pics. The blade mount does have the bowtie fitting. However the blade supplied has a round hole. And hole is larger than the bolt, so very difficult to get exactly centered. Guess I need the correct blade.

Called Sears parts, and they are sending me the correct blade, part number 942-0741A.

Attachments

I

ILENGINE

First picture is a little blurry, but has the appearance that the star area may be smashed toward the ends of the bowtie. If that is damaged may have to try to straighten out the damaged area, or replace the blade mount with a new blade.

B

bertsmobile1

No you need to go to the store and speak to the manager and only the manager.
Print out those photos .
Let him know politely that his shop has supplied you with a dangerously modified lawnmower which can bring criminal charges.
You would like them to replace the lawn mower with a new one.
If you knowingly bought it as a demo then you will have to accept another demo, provided it is as it left the factory and not bodged up like the one you were sold.

I have no idea how they work demos, but some on has replaced the blade boss with a broken one then fitted the wrong blade.
It might be possible for a customer to have done this so he might be unaware of the UNSAFE & DANGEROUS condition that the mower you bought was in.

If he blows you off with all sorts of yack, then the next step is to call in the local TV station ,name what ever the shock horror shonk exposers program is.

As previously mentioned, down here it would be a case of taking out a claim with our consumer advocate and for a blade set up like yours, they would take criminal proceedings against the store, and also prosecute both the salesman & the manager.
We have fairly strong consumer laws down here , mainly because we import everything so there is no envelopes full of cash going from factories to senators campaign funds.

A

(Account Closed)

No you need to go to the store and speak to the manager and only the manager.
Print out those photos .
Let him know politely that his shop has supplied you with a dangerously modified lawnmower which can bring criminal charges.
You would like them to replace the lawn mower with a new one.
If you knowingly bought it as a demo then you will have to accept another demo, provided it is as it left the factory and not bodged up like the one you were sold.

I have no idea how they work demos, but some on has replaced the blade boss with a broken one then fitted the wrong blade.
It might be possible for a customer to have done this so he might be unaware of the UNSAFE & DANGEROUS condition that the mower you bought was in.

If he blows you off with all sorts of yack, then the next step is to call in the local TV station ,name what ever the shock horror shonk exposers program is.

As previously mentioned, down here it would be a case of taking out a claim with our consumer advocate and for a blade set up like yours, they would take criminal proceedings against the store, and also prosecute both the salesman & the manager.
We have fairly strong consumer laws down here , mainly because we import everything so there is no envelopes full of cash going from factories to senators campaign funds.

Plus 1 on EVERYTHING ^^^..

You paid for new mower, I don't know why your messing with a used POS and paid a brand new price for it...

And here in the states, same as down below. They don't want the bad publicity.

About 2 years ago, a guy brought back a mower to Home Depo (with manager in tow). I spoke briefly with both about ethanol, etc and the issues. The manager offered me a job wrenching....

However, it seems you want to keep this machine for some reason, so good luck with it...

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Don............... It looks like the blade boss / adapter is broken ...... You only have a lil more than half left on there.....

Like Bert said bring the mower back and ask for a new one... That one wasn't supposed to be sold in the first place.....

If they say no do like Bert said and go to the local TV station .... They love schitt like this and usually have a investigation team that consists of a TV journalist that makes all the necessary calls for the legalities...... Most of the time they don't have to set up shop in front of the store to scare them .....A phone call does it most of the time.....

If management puts them off saying they need more time to look into the matter then the TV person takes action, then the store is screwed by their own manager..... The van pulls up and people start talking and soon there is someone coming out the store inquiring WTF is going on here..........

That's how easy that schitt is.............. So nut up and make a call Mon Ami ~!~!

D

donnieu

First picture is a little blurry, but has the appearance that the star area may be smashed toward the ends of the bowtie. If that is damaged may have to try to straighten out the damaged area, or replace the blade mount with a new blade.
On 2nd look, the blade mount is broken off on one corner.

Will take blade and mount to store tomorrow and see what they will do. This mower was loaded into my car in a box that was for a $450 self propelled mower (not my mower's box).
I ordered it online. They had some special going, $60 in points for buying this,so I got it for net $184-60=$124. My guess is it was a floor model that some disgruntled employee tampered with before quitting, as there were no signs of it being used.

The pull cord assembly was screwed on in the wrong direction. Wrong blade. Handle shook badly first time I started it due to blade off center. Pull cord broke 2nd time I used it. Would not start 3rd time I tried. Not sure when or why throttle got disconnected. Engine seemed to run a little fast every time.

If they will accept a return, what is the best low priced mower to buy? One with Briggs engine? I only plan to be in this house 2 or 3 years, so I don't need an expensive long term lawn mower. I see their web site shows : "Equipped with a dependable Briggs & Stratton® 125 cc 450E Series engine, the Poulan Pro PR450N20S is a great entry-level push mower " for about the same price range.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Yes the Poulan Pro with the E 450 engine is the best choice ......... I like those engines as long as you put NON ETHO gas in them and make sure it comes from very clean can.... The tiny schitt in gas will stop up the main jets, but the carb is easily cleaned .......

I

ILENGINE

Agree on the Poulan push mower. good mower and the Briggs engine is a good engine. the new engines can be picky when it comes to fuel quality, so if you have starting issues the first thing to do is dump the fuel and put in FRESH fuel.

D

donnieu

Was unable to get to store today. But just called customer support 800 number, got someone who speaked little English, and they just gave me the line that it is past 30 days and nothing they can do on their end, and I should just take it to the store for repair. I asked to speak to his manager, and he refused my request. Will try to talk to store after work tomorrow.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Was unable to get to store today. But just called customer support 800 number, got someone who speaked little English, and they just gave me the line that it is past 30 days and nothing they can do on their end, and I should just take it to the store for repair. I asked to speak to his manager, and he refused my request. Will try to talk to store after work tomorrow.

Yes please talk to the manager and like I said before "Politely" ......... I think they are giving you the run around up the front and back and stopping at the back side to screw you......

In no way shape or form they can't let you speak to a manager.... Like I said before those calls or recorded and if you gave them your name and other info then there will notes written in their computer records on a case number, if you have a case number..............

I can sell Ice to a Eskimo when it comes to dealing with issues on schiit like that...... I don't threaten them I just take action and go over their heads...........

Let us what you find out tomorrow..... This is turning into a good Saga and makes interesting reading on how to deal with corporate crap ..............

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Make you a list of things that you want to say to the manager ......

Oil was already in the mower and it was dirty..... That means it was used mower..

Blade boss / adapter was broken when you got it ........

Carb linkage is fricked up ......

Wrong box for the Mower .......

Mower wasn't supposed to be sold as per the rep you talked to on the phone............

I can go on and on by what you said already on this thread........

Don't tell him you will go to the local TV station.... That is a threat IMHO..... Just make a phone call to your station and ask if they have an investigation team that can help you ...... There will be a station in your viewing area that will help you with this or they will make a few calls for you....

I forgot to add this in my other post earlier ..... Your TV news channel station makes their money from reporting news and in your case that is news..... It's not just about the weather and sports, no sir..........

They love schitt like this, it's local news and people will eat that up...............

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

A

(Account Closed)

Make you a list of things that you want to say to the manager ......

Oil was already in the mower and it was dirty..... That means it was used mower..

Blade boss / adapter was broken when you got it ........

Carb linkage is fricked up ......

Wrong box for the Mower .......

Mower wasn't supposed to be sold as per the rep you talked to on the phone............

I can go on and on by what you said already on this thread........

Don't tell him you will go to the local TV station.... That is a threat IMHO..... Just make a phone call to your station and ask if they have an investigation team that can help you ...... There will be a station in your viewing area that will help you with this or they will make a few calls for you....

I forgot to add this in my other post earlier ..... Your TV news channel station makes their money from reporting news and in your case that is news..... It's not just about the weather and sports, no sir..........

They love schitt like this, it's local news and people will eat that up...............

Plus 100% ^^^

I would add BRING the mower with you.

If need be, start it, let it vibrate, scream, etc...

D

donnieu

Sears store closest to me closed a few weeks ago. Went downtown to the one I picked up mower from. Shelves were empty or gone, closing in a few days. Did talk to manager, and she said she would exchange if she had one, but obviously lawn mower dept was an empty floor. She said I would have to go to the nearest store not privately owned, which is about 60 miles away. So guess I will. I suppose the drive shaft on this mower is probably damaged? The wrong blade vibration apparently caused the 1/4" steel in the blade mount to bust off. Did get the new blade from UPS today, but not sure if I even want to try to start it with the broken mount. Appears likely the best they would likely do is an exchange for same mower. Called their parts site about a new blade mount, and they told me "that is not a warranteed part".

A

(Account Closed)

Sears store closest to me closed a few weeks ago. Went downtown to the one I picked up mower from. Shelves were empty or gone, closing in a few days. Did talk to manager, and she said she would exchange if she had one, but obviously lawn mower dept was an empty floor. She said I would have to go to the nearest store not privately owned, which is about 60 miles away. So guess I will. I suppose the drive shaft on this mower is probably damaged? The wrong blade vibration apparently caused the 1/4" steel in the blade mount to bust off. Did get the new blade from UPS today, but not sure if I even want to try to start it with the broken mount. Appears likely the best they would likely do is an exchange for same mower. Called their parts site about a new blade mount, and they told me "that is not a warranteed part".

Jeez...

Anyway, you should be ok with the crank, shouldn't be bent. Had you ran it for years, vibrating badly, would be VERY HARD on the engine. I wouldn't put anything else into it and when you can, bring it to the warranty shop while still under warranty.

Heck, if all the linkages (shouldn't be much), etc, they can order all new parts, adjust RPM's, etc...

Bring your part down there just in case, it's the least of your issues..

Padroo

Padroo

Small claims court is another option.

When you say stale gas, how stale was it?

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

No Don the out of adjustment blade didn't cause the blade boss to break ..... Someone hit something very hard and caused that .... Hence the reason for the return as a floor model ..... Yes a 60 mile trip is worth it and push for the Poulan with the Briggs engine ....... Even if you have to throw in a few extra bucks.......

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

D

donnieu

Small claims court is another option.
When you say stale gas, how stale was it?
Got a new Sears 5 gallon plastic gas can. Was mowing .45 acre lot every week. Now, I'm not sure if gas was the problem. Might have just been the disconnected primer hose only.

D

donnieu

No Don the out of adjustment blade didn't cause the blade boss to break ..... Someone hit something very hard and caused that ....

Yes a 60 mile trip is worth it and push for the Poulan with the Briggs engine ....... Even if you have to throw in a few extra bucks.......
Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Checking the blade, I just see one very small nick in the blade edge.
It was very easy for her to say she would exchange when there was nothing left to exchange with. Not sure if I drive 60 miles, that the next manager will even take an exchange. They might tell me to have repair shop examine it first. The Poulan is one of those web purchase items that they don't stock, but sell through internet like Walmart does. They would probably much prefer to exchange their Craftsman if anything.

A

(Account Closed)

Checking the blade, I just see one very small nick in the blade edge.
It was very easy for her to say she would exchange when there was nothing left to exchange with. Not sure if I drive 60 miles, that the next manager will even take an exchange. They might tell me to have repair shop examine it first. The Poulan is one of those web purchase items that they don't stock, but sell through internet like Walmart does. They would probably much prefer to exchange their Craftsman if anything.

Decision time, just stick to NO Chinese knock offs...

Stop by the shop, see what they say. I suspect they'll agree with you and NOT want to touch it. Easy peezy now...

*You know once your done with the machine in a couple years, you can sell it and get a good part of your $ back (should you take care of the new machine)..

I see POS small push mowers down here for $40-50 that need work, ????