craftsman 21hp 42inch won't move

silverfox.231

Forum Newbie
Threads
It wont move with the transmission lever engaged or disengaged. It also grinds when in gear foward or reverse. If the drive belt is off would it still make this noise. I just mowed with it the week before and it was fine. Have not had the wheels off or anything, its been a great mower 5 years old.

Threads
It wont move with the transmission lever engaged or disengaged. It also grinds when in gear foward or reverse. If the drive belt is off would it still make this noise. I just mowed with it the week before and it was fine. Have not had the wheels off or anything, its been a great mower 5 years old.

I don't know the answer, but just for clarification, it was fine when you put it away last week, and then you went to use it today and it wouldn't work? And you didn't touch it inbetween?

scott47429

Threads
check the pulley on top of the transmission that the drive belt goes to and see if its tight sometimes the nut on top will come loose and cause the mower not to pull good luck

DaveTN

Threads
I don't know the answer, but just for clarification, it was fine when you put it away last week, and then you went to use it today and it wouldn't work? And you didn't touch it inbetween?

If the drive belt was off going to the transmission, and it still made that grinding noise and all, that would indicate an internal problem in the engine. I'm wondering what could be grinding in the engine and it still run? Is the Drive Pulley turning? Could be a sheared drive pulley key. Or a loose crankshaft pulley bolt. Makes the pulley grind and slip and yet the engine would run. *shrugs... beats me what it could be. Just guessing

Last edited:

scott47429

Threads
so you have the belt off of it now and it still makes the noise did i understand you right if so does it have a electric blade clutch check the oil and see if you have any metal in the oil

silverfox.231

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the drive belt was off going to the transmission, and it still made that grinding noise and all, that would indicate an internal problem in the engine. I'm wondering what could be grinding in the engine and it still run? Is the Drive Pulley turning? Could be a sheared drive pulley key. Or a loose crankshaft pulley bolt. Makes the pulley grind and slip and yet the engine would run. *shrugs... beats me what it could be. Just guessing

Im sorry I should have been alittle more clear the motor doesn't make a grinding noise, it runs fine. When I let out on the brake/clutch pedal it grinds. I haven't checked the belt as of yet, because of my work schedule, just trying to know what to look for. I was just reading all of these post concerning this topic, and wondered if the belt being off would make this grinding sound when I let the clutch out. Thanks for your replies I need the help.

BustedKnuckles

Threads
Sounds like a tensioner or idler pulley issue to me.