Craftsman 21" Self propel only pulls on right side

Othniel888

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Craftsman 6.75 MRS Briggs 21" Hi-Tunnel mulcher. Front gear drive variable speed. Model # 917.378922. The self propel only turns the right front wheel, the left side won't pull. The gear and wheel look OK inside, nothing stripped out etc. Any suggestions/common problems? Thanks!!!!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I was looking at the parts picture. It looks like a straight drive axle, both wheels drive on one axle. So the only thing I see would be the drive pawl on the left side would be not driving?? You will have to take things apart and see what is broken or wore.

Othniel888

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was looking at the parts picture. It looks like a straight drive axle, both wheels drive on one axle. So the only thing I see would be the drive pawl on the left side would be not driving?? You will have to take things apart and see what is broken or wore.

Thanks...I'll check it out and post result

Othniel888

Forum Newbie
Threads
You were right, it was the little drive pawl. It was on the axle behind the wheel, not in the transaxle housing like I first thought. I took off both wheels and one side was rusty, the other looked OK. A little prying got the rusty one off, some 6 in 1 Belray spray and some anti-seize took care of the corrosion. It "burns rubber" on both sides now! Thanks again for the tip!