Craftsman 13.5 B & S Ride on mower fuel issues.

Weso

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all.

I need some advise on a Craftsman 13.5 B & S Ride on mower.

It is 20 years old.
Some years ago, it was giving me problems with fuel running out of the carb.
I put a kit in it, and that seemed to work for awhile.

Then it started again, and I put in a fuel shut off, and that worked up until last fall.

It started going through a lot of fuel, and I discovered it was getting into the engine oil.

The cost of an OEM carb is really high where I am
, so I installed one of those after market ones from Amazon.

It seemed to start and run ok, although a little rich.

I was still going through a lot of fuel, so I just serviced it for winter, and put it away.

The little bit of running I did was still going through a lot of fuel, so I decided to get a kit and try to rebuild the original carb.

I have not done it yet, but went today to check on a few things, and it had leaked a lot of fuel into the oil again.
It seems strange that the new carb lets fuel into the crank case like the old one.

Could it maybe be a valve problem?

Let me know if someone has some ideas.

Thanks
Weso

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Hello all.

I need some advise on a Craftsman 13.5 B & S Ride on mower.

It is 20 years old.
Some years ago, it was giving me problems with fuel running out of the carb.
I put a kit in it, and that seemed to work for awhile.

Then it started again, and I put in a fuel shut off, and that worked up until last fall.

It started going through a lot of fuel, and I discovered it was getting into the engine oil.

The cost of an OEM carb is really high where I am
, so I installed one of those after market ones from Amazon.

It seemed to start and run ok, although a little rich.

I was still going through a lot of fuel, so I just serviced it for winter, and put it away.

The little bit of running I did was still going through a lot of fuel, so I decided to get a kit and try to rebuild the original carb.

I have not done it yet, but went today to check on a few things, and it had leaked a lot of fuel into the oil again.
It seems strange that the new carb lets fuel into the crank case like the old one.

Could it maybe be a valve problem?

Let me know if someone has some ideas.

Thanks
Weso

The needle and seat in the carburetor are responsible for flow of fuel. Sometimes if they are not sealing properly (intermittent issue), gas will be introduced into cylinder and will mix with engine oil. What brand is the OEM carburetor, Walbro? Is the tank gravity fed? Does the carburetor have an anti afterfire solenoid on fuel bowl? Sounds like aftermarket carburetor worked a bit then you are having same issue. Did you replace needle and clean seat on OEM carburetor?

Weso

Forum Newbie
Threads
The carb is a walbro 498027. It is a gravity feed, with no anti afterfire solenoid on fuel bowl.
I have a kit for the OEM carb. I will put in the kit, and try that.
I was just wondering about the valves, if that was a possibility.
Thanks for the help.