CRAFTSMAN 12-Volt 135 Amps Mower Battery

Freddie21

Threads
Hi All, I was at Lowes and glanced at the Craftsman T2400 series machines and noticed this battery installed in them all. It's a tiny 135 CCA battery. Much smaller than the U1 size. Everything I have worked on uses a 230-330 amp battery. Will this baby spin up an older 17-20 HP single cyl motor?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-AGM-Battery/5001579583

1707946826899.png

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It will spin the engine but will also go flat quickly.

using the actual model number given by the Lowes website (CMXGRAM211302) the IPL is showing a 210 cca 11aH AGM battery being used in the 2024 model. Previous years used a 300 cca battery.

The battery shown (725-17136) is only a 7 aH battery. Or just over 60% of the capacity of the 11 aH battery.

It is someone just cheaping out the 7aH is about $13-18 less than the 11aH battery.
1708000873854.png

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I wonder @StarTech if somebody has swapped the battery with another unit. From the Lowes website for the 135 amp battery they show it for the R110 and R140 mowers.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I wonder @StarTech if somebody has swapped the battery with another unit. From the Lowes website for the 135 amp battery they show it for the R110 and R140 mowers.
Could be...Never know for sure; unless, I personally was handling the equipment. It really on who actually providing the batteries. Basically it comes down are they being with the batteries installed or is the local dealer installing them?

And it could be a simple mistake on the installer part. You know some installers are not that into checking things.

Basically Lowe's just hires a body to do the work; didn't necessarily hired them for their brains. A good example was the time I asked for a Metric Adjustable wrench and the tool guy running all over the place looking for one.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
@StarTech The box stores that I have worked with that sold riders always had the battery installed in the battery box but not connected right out of the crate. But they could be pulling the batteries from the display models and putting them on a shelf because people will steal anything that they can put their sticky hands on. About said what wasn't bolted down but I have known people to cut the battery wires loose from an installed battery in front of the store and walk away with the battery and the battery connections and bolts still attached.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I would not put it pass them...It probably why the Home Depot and Lowe's stores had Police camera units on the their parking lots now.

It is shame that some our communities have such a problem with thief. Certain areas are known for thief so tend to avoid them.

I actually lived on both sides the Alabama/Tennessee state line. What a world of difference 6 miles makes. On the Alabama side you can't leave anything out that you want to keep but on the Tennessee side I haven't a problem in 10 years. A whole different class of people or it is that I am just further away from big city of Huntsville, Al.

Freddie21

Threads
I did check one store and all 8 mowers had that battery in them. If I was to purchase a mower there, I would insist the larger battery be installed. May work fine with a fresh tune-up and warm conditions.