Could I have some advice on Scag please ?

Scraperman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased a Scag Turf Runner about 20 years ago to mow all the short grass around the farmstead, about an acre in total, usually once a week. It wasn't new when I bought it and I have had to learn the hard way how to keep it going ! Of course the deck gearbox has been the main problem and even though I changed to a Curtis box about 15 years ago I have had to go inside that on an almost regular basis over the last 5 years. And the other major issue has been the electro-magnetic clutch - whoever thought that was a good idea ? Having said all that the mower has done it's job and I really appreciate the manouverability of an out-front zero turn collector mower. Mowing my grass is a bit like an obstacle race and a zero turn is ideal for that.

But I fear that she may be about to give up on me. The other day the nut came off the deck input shaft that is inside the right-angle gearbox and allowed the gear to come off the shaft. That was messy !

And so to my question. I have the chance of a Cougar which looks nice with not many hours. I see that they went away from a deck that required timing using a gearbox to a 3 bladed deck that could be driven by belts. And the clutch is just belts being tightend by a pulley.. A gentle engagement rather than the "bang and it's in" of the Turf Runner. But after research I find that the Cougar is slagged off nearly as much as the Turf Runner was. Is it really that bad when they had got rid of the two worst things about the Turf Runner ?

Thanks to anyone who has been patient and read this far but I am actually asking if the Cougar is a decent mower and for any tips on what to look for. And thank you to anyone who can advise me at all.

Last edited:
Threads
I purchased a Scag Turf Runner about 20 years ago to mow all the short grass around the farmstead, about an acre in total, usually once a week. It wasn't new when I bought it and I have had to learn the hard way how to keep it going ! Of course the deck gearbox has been the main problem and even though I changed to a Curtis box about 15 years ago I have had to go inside that on an almost regular basis over the last 5 years. And the other major issue has been the electro-magnetic clutch - whoever thought that was a good idea ? Having said all that the mower has done it's job and I really appreciate the manouverability of an out-front zero turn collector mower. Mowing my grass is a bit like an obstacle race and a zero turn is ideal for that.

But I fear that she may be about to give up on me. The other day the nut came off the deck input shaft that is inside the right-angle gearbox and allowed the gear to come off the shaft. That was messy !

And so to my question. I have the chance of a Cougar which looks nice with not many hours. I see that they went away from a deck that required timing using a gearbox to a 3 bladed deck that could be driven by belts. And the clutch is just belts being tightend by a pulley.. A gentle engagement rather than the "bang and it's in" of the Turf Runner. But after research I find that the Cougar is slagged off nearly as much as the Turf Runner was. Is it really that bad when they had got rid of the two worst things about the Turf Runner ?

Thanks to anyone who has been patient and read this far but I am actually asking if the Cougar is a decent mower and for any tips on what to look for. And thank you to anyone who can advise me at all.
How old was the TurfRunner when you bought it?