Cost of replacing batteries

papajack

Threads
Before you buy an electric mower, look at the cost of battery replacement.
I have a Ryobi electric riding lawn mower. I bought it in 2017 and replaced the batteries in 2022. The cost was $1039.
This season, my batteries no longer hold a charge as long as two years ago.
I love my mower, but the cost is too high for me.
I noticed the EGO riding mower has six batteries. What would be the cost to replace these.
If my mower needs batteries again, I may buy a gas mower.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I have a Ryobi electric riding lawn mower. I bought it in 2017 and replaced the batteries in 2022. The cost was $1039.
I noticed the EGO riding mower has six batteries. What would be the cost to replace these.
$1000 is comparable to rebuilding an engine. However, you can get a lot more than 2-5 years life out of an engine normally. I encourage people to do some research and reading about battery equipment and electric vehicles. Weigh the pros and cons. I will be running internal combustion engines until the day I die. That is how I roll.

papajack

Threads
$1000 is comparable to rebuilding an engine. However, you can get a lot more than 2-5 years life out of an engine normally. I encourage people to do some research and reading about battery equipment and electric vehicles. Weigh the pros and cons. I will be running internal combustion engines until the day I die. That is how I roll.
We have a 2005 Honda Civic going strong—very few repairs. My 2015 Chevy Colorado is still in great shape. Electric vehicles will not last as long, and I do not see a used electric vehicle market. The risk of suddenly replacing a battery pack for up to $60K is scary.

upupandaway

Threads
What cracks me up is I still have and use my 80's Snapper with Wisconsin engine and an 80's Ariens with Tecumseh motor.

I think the push to electric is the makers know elec mowers won't last anywhere close to a good gas mower so they will have to buy a new one every 3 years. That means CHA-CHING!!!!

papajack

Threads
What cracks me up is I still have and use my 80's Snapper with Wisconsin engine and an 80's Ariens with Tecumseh motor.

I think the push to electric is the makers know elec mowers won't last anywhere close to a good gas mower so they will have to buy a new one every 3 years. That means CHA-CHING!!!!
That's the plan. We bought a high dollar washer and dryer. Three years later a computer chip died on the dryer. They no longer made that part. We ended up buying a speed queen washer and dryer. They are made the old way.

Honest Abe

Threads
I still have a 1981 Case 108 with an 8 hp B&S, have been through 7 small $60 batteries in all those years. I'd never go Electric anything today.....

wekjo

Threads
There is an excellent video on youtube of a handy guy doing a conversion to Lithium Ion batteries for that mower.