Export thread

Corded or cordless?

T

TedBeal

What would be your choice, if money was no object, which unfortunately is unlikely to be the case, but just supposing? Would you go for a corded or cordless mower?

K

KennyV

Corded has it's obvious long run time ... BUT with todays lithium hi-tec batteries you can do about as much work as you really want to, on a full charge...
so I guess I have to go without the cord to tie me down... (that is if I have the choice to use either) :smile:KennyV

M

Mac 624

I guess, You mean electric driven mowers. So, I would go with the corded. Easy to handle, easy to repair and no Accu that had to be replaced after a few years.

K

KDL

I am not a big fan of electric mowers, bought one on sale just to do small jobs instead of firing up the bigger mower and I did not even get one season out of it. I hope they manufacture them better nowadays.

V

Vern2

With a little research Ryobi cordless is what I ended up with. The mower does not pull too fast while mowing, but how do I know. You can't be 80 years old either. My wife at 39... does very well with this unit. After having it for a month now, in central Arizona I feel I made the right choice for my wife. Starting the mower on full charge, emptying the grass several times it's still on a full charge.:smile:
Ryobi cordless Of course that's the backyard around the pool. I like my John Deere for the acre and a half next door, laser leveled. After cutting it at 1" I have an acre and a half putting green. I mow it once a week, I've got over 1200 hrs on the L130/hydro stat

Vern

M

Mr.McGinty

Vern, thanks for the link to the Ryobi. It has some interesting information in the ad. and that set me to thinking of the advantages of cordless over corded. Apart from the obvious safety factor, (I am disaster prone and my kids have inherited this gene), what are the others?

V

Vern2

McGrindy,
There's plenty of safety features built in like a key, can't be started without it. Charging the battery is like pluging in your laptop. Oh No, there has a blade, I have know way how your going to take that off, sorry. So I guess your stuck with buying a goat, LOL.:biggrin:

Vern

briggs

briggs

i am not a big fan of them ether way ...The corded ones are a pain but more durable then then the cordless ones ...I have 2 of them and they both need chargers ..Its the batt or charger that always seems to go and some of them cost a lot to replace

M

Mr.McGinty

McGrindy,
There's plenty of safety features built in like a key, can't be started without it. Charging the battery is like pluging in your laptop. Oh No, there has a blade, I have know way how your going to take that off, sorry. So I guess your stuck with buying a goat, LOL.:biggrin:

Vern

Thanks for the smile.:smile: The mere mention of a blade makes me shudder but the other features sound attractive. You are right though, my goat is sounding like a lot less stress than a fuel or electricity powered mower. (Or maybe I am being uber postive to compensate for the fact that she ate three of my kids' best T-shirts yesterday!).

S

Smartaleck

I think pretty much every mower is full of safety features nowadays but the only advantage with a cordless is that you have no cable to keep pulling out of the way while you are mowing!

V

Vern2

Braggs,
I've been filling up two - 2 gal cans of gas every 2 weeks or so for years. I added solar and I guess, I'm trying to recoup some money. Right now I'm keeping it under a large patio, out of the sun and rain. I liked the 48 volts. I seem to alway need gas when I have none, then spilling gas, The oil never gets changed in the small lawn mowers. The filter always seemed to need cleaned and of course getting it started every weekend. Battery Are Us, is a good place to start for your battery problems. Right now I'm out of gas again.

McGrindy,
I'm glad the goats working out. And Yes T-shirts are a favorite food for them.:confused2:

Smartaleck,
Very true.

Vern
Check-out Home projects menu:

W

woodfile

The Black & Decker cordless lawn mower is proving to be perfect for my yard. I was concerned because we kept getting rain after the mower arrived, but the grass was getting so long that I felt I had to mow it before the neighborhood attacked, so I had at it. The long, damp grass was no challenge for the mower, and it has continued to do an excellent job with great convenience. I have only used it to mulch, and will probably only use it in that mode, so can not speak to the grass gathering capability. Excellent product!

kermit911

kermit911

I would go corded, I can not stand running out of power. Even with hand tools, they all have to be corded, MORE POWER!!! :biggrin:

B

benski

I've got a cordless goat, and it seems to run fine!:biggrin: In all seriousness, however, battery technology is advancing so quickly that even a 2 yr. old cordless mower is quickly becoming archaic. I like the instant torque and comparatively low maintenance, and of course they're comparatively quiet, which goes well in the neighborhood.:wink:

Mark Widmer

Mark Widmer

The Black & Decker cordless lawn mower ...
Which model do you have? (I have a CMM1000, 5 years old)

EDIT: Ah, never mind, I see you posted that you have the SPCM1936.

jmurray01

jmurray01

Hmm... Neither!

If money was no object I'd go for a really expencive electric start self propelled walk behind petrol mower :smile:

JDgreen

JDgreen

I have thick grass 6 to 7 inches high out there right now. You guys who think cordless are such a BFD show me one that will cut that stuff without stalling. And I want a 22 inch cut, self propelled, cordless that will cut wet grass at 4 mph. Cordless....WHAT A JOKE......:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

L

LandN

i would also go corded.. i have seen lots of houses without outside outlets,or just one outlet that you would need ten miles of electric cord to cut the whole yard.or a yard that has lots of trees ,bushes berms,etc. that a corded mower would be difficult to manouver through the maze. then maybe a cordless will do.but i'll still take a corded one for my yard,unless maybe i can be schooled on battery technology to where i could trust the continous power to finish the yard....now if you throw a reel mower into the choice,then i'm jumpin all over that one right now:laughing:

Mark Widmer

Mark Widmer

I have thick grass 6 to 7 inches high out there right now. You guys who think cordless are such a BFD show me one that will cut that stuff without stalling. And I want a 22 inch cut, self propelled, cordless that will cut wet grass at 4 mph. Cordless....WHAT A JOKE......:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Cordless mowers aren't for everybody. They're for 1/4 to 1/3 acre lawns or smaller. If that doesn't "cut it" for you, then don't buy one. There's no need for you to harass the people who like them and can use them.