Converting a 52" Patriot to 61"?

JC Wren

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a 52" Patriot about 2 years ago as my first zero turn. I went with the 52" because it's what was available and I needed to cut grass on the house we had just moved into.

I'm quite happy with this unit (110 hours on it), but now I'm at a point where I'd like a wider mower, partly for cutting a wider swath, and partly to make it a little easier to get up next to fences. I paid around $7500 (with tax) for it at the time, and I see new 52" are $8600 to $8900, and 61" about $900 to $1000 more (not including tax). I'm wondering if it's worthwhile (and possible) to convert it to a 61" by replacing the deck. From what I can tell, that should be the only difference between the 52" and 61", and possibly blades (haven't checked on that).

Has anyone done this? The dealer is already closed for the evening, so I can't check on the price of a new deck. If a new deck is less than $1600 or so, seems like it would be way to go.

Thanks!
--JC

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
The 61” models use higher displacement engines.
The blades will be longer.
The belts will be different.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Also drink more gas. Thanks to the Biden Cartel, it will cost you in fuel.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Also drink more gas. Thanks to the Biden Cartel, it will cost you in fuel.
There are reasons SCAG put larger engines on the 61”. @JC Wren will either have to do expensive modifications to his 52” mower, live with the 52”, or trade for a 61”.
Modifications like he mentioned could void his original warranty.
Gravely wouldn’t replace a Yamaha engine with a Kohler or Kawasaki on my former Pro Turn 160. They would only replace with another Yamaha. Their reasons were warranty concerns. The mowers model number and serial numbers only allow for replacement of parts original to that particular mower, while under warranty.

Last edited: