CMM 1200 BLACK & DECKER 24V CORDLESS MOWER POSITIVE LEAD GETS TOO HOT

mng519

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / CMM 1200 BLACK & DECKER 24V CORDLESS MOWER POSITIVE LEAD GETS TOO HOT
I switched from lead acid batteries to lifepo4 lithium iron phosphate. The positive connection gets too hot and ruins the cells causing them to start emitting a noxious smell similar to lawn poison. I've tested all of the connections for any resistance and they all come up fine. Voltmeter reads 0.00 for no resistance. I was able to use the batteries for a pretty long time in the beginning of switching over to lifepo4 without noticing any problems. Now I can't mow for very long at all before the problem occurs. Can wires degrade over time causing an overheating issue with the positive lead? I'm ready to start replacing the wires to see if it fixes the problem.

If anyone knows anything about this issue, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Born2Mow

Threads
I'd buy a gasoline engine, that turns a generator, that can power your electric mower.
That way all your battery issues will be done with, AND you can still claim "electric mower" status. :ROFLMAO:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Are you charging the batteries with the proper charger ?
CHarging a Li battery with a Pb charger destroys the battery and has been know to start fires that burn peoples houses down because they can not be put out .
Other than that batteries have a maximum discharge rate and if you exceed that you can destroy the battery internally.

mng519

Forum Newbie
Threads
Positive lead gets too hot during operation. Not while charging. I use a lifepo4 smart charger that is compatible with the batteries.

mng519

Forum Newbie
Threads
The batteries are powering a black and decker cmm1200 cordless mower.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for clarifing.
If the cables are getting very hot then either they are too small , corroded at the ends or internally or the electric motor is under too much load

mng519

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks bertsmobile1. I'll try replacing the wire and see if that helps. Can a shortstop auto resetting breaker go bad? I was mowing one time and I checked to see if the positive terminal was hot, it was a little warm. I then pushed on the positive wire that was bolted to the one end of the shortstop and then checked after mowing and it wasn't warm at all. Thanks again.