Clicking noise coming from right wheel area?

Talon67

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All, I have a Hustler Diesel Z. I recently had a hydraulic line fail going to the left wheel motor. I was mowing a large field and did not notice until it started jerking. I shut it off and hauled it back to the garage with the skid loader. I had a hose made up and installed it and filled with 10W40 as stated on the reservoir. I have mowed with it for 8-10 hours since then but the left wheel motor is making a clicking noise when starting forward from a stop or climbing steep hills. It seems like the pump makes more noise on that side as well. I bought the mower last summer and supposedly both pumps were new at that time. I have mowed with it for 50 or 60 hours at least. Any ideas on what to do next for troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Dave

Talon67

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: Clicking noise coming from left wheel area?

EDIT: The title says right wheel but it is the left. Thank you.

Jack17

Threads
I'd start with purging air out from the hydro drives.

Btw, that is a beauty of a machine you got there.
I think Hustler recommends 20W50 motor oil for their hydros...you said 10W40...double check that!

Talon67

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'd start with purging air out from the hydro drives.

Btw, that is a beauty of a machine you got there.
I think Hustler recommends 20W50 motor oil for their hydros...you said 10W40...double check that!

Thank you. I love the mower! I would have thought that the air would have been out by now? I read somewhere to support the mower with the wheels off of the ground and run it full forward for a couple of minutes. Is that correct? I looked this morning and the hydraulic oil reservoir has a decal that says 10W40. Should I use 20W50? Thanks again!

Jack17

Threads
I'm not saying to use 20W50...I'm saying to double check what's recommended. Find out who make hydro motors and pumps for that particular model, call their tech support and ask a question. To purge air out of the system you should raise rear end just enough off the ground that so the wheels can free-spin. Open bypass valve on both hydros and go SLOW forward and reverse a few times...checking the fluid level in the process. Then close bypass valves and do it again. If you have fluid radiator it might take a little longer to purge it right. After you're done re check fluid. That should do it.

Talon67

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm not saying to use 20W50...I'm saying to double check what's recommended. Find out who make hydro motors and pumps for that particular model, call their tech support and ask a question. To purge air out of the system you should raise rear end just enough off the ground that so the wheels can free-spin. Open bypass valve on both hydros and go SLOW forward and reverse a few times...checking the fluid level in the process. Then close bypass valves and do it again. If you have fluid radiator it might take a little longer to purge it right. After you're done re check fluid. That should do it.

That's great information Jack17! I will do that as soon as I get home this afternoon! I have not opened the bypass valves. I'm assuming those are the ones that let the wheels free wheel? Thanks again!

Jack17

Threads
One more thing about the fluid and wheel motors...your unit being top of the line Hustler might've come with German made hydros and a pump. Forgot the name of the German maker but shouldn't be difficult to find it on-line.

P.S.
When I think of it...when you said that "it says 10W40 on a tank"...you see...what *IF* in fact was design to run on "real" hydraulic fluid? 10W is an equivalent of Grade 150 or 200 hydraulic fluid. I'd make that call to tech support and be very specific about what you have there...model and serial #'s ready in hand before you make that call.

Talon67

Forum Newbie
Threads
One more thing about the fluid and wheel motors...your unit being top of the line Hustler might've come with German made hydros and a pump. Forgot the name of the German maker but shouldn't be difficult to find it on-line.

P.S.
When I think of it...when you said that "it says 10W40 on a tank"...you see...what *IF* in fact was design to run on "real" hydraulic fluid? 10W is an equivalent of Grade 150 or 200 hydraulic fluid. I'd make that call to tech support and be very specific about what you have there...model and serial #'s ready in hand before you make that call.

That's more good advice Jack17! I will do that as well. I noticed you're a fellow Illinois member! I'm between Litchfield and Alton Illinois.

Jack17

Threads
I'm from Deer Park, Lake County...25mi NW from Chicago.