Cleaned, changed oil, now rope jerks back

Threads
I have an identical problem that I noticed yesterday for the first time on a Poulan that I bought a couple years ago, and it has the blade on. I'm thinking wildbill has the answer for me.
The last time I used it, it ran extremely irregularly and roughly - like it was going to die. Almost felt as if the fuel was getting dumped in without appropriate regulation. As you can tell, I'm no lawnmower mechanic. I also noted at that time when I restarted it after emptying the bag, that it would backfire and sometimes sparks would come out. Anyway, I finished mowing, embarrassed whenever someone came by looking at me wondering why I was using a mower that fiunctioned like that. Now the next time I try to use the mower, I get the behavior described by the poster aabove. It pulls smoothly about halfway and then it jerks backwards in a way that is actually very dramatic and hurts my shoulder. It didn't start after a few pulls and it is too risky to my body to keep pulling the pull cord.
So is this in fact probably a broken key between the flywheel and pistons (or whatever). And secondly, is this probably why this mower has been running so bad. Or is it two separate problems.
Thanks.
Rod

Wildbill is right its got to be the shear key on the crankshaft has broke, and let it slip timing..